Heaters staying hot only

Got a problem with your beloved Chevette?
Can`t find the answer in the manuals?...ask here!

Moderator: Moderators

Heaters staying hot only

Postby Mull » 28 Mar 2008, 20:17

Hi after some advice really my heater stays hot and I was hoping to sort it out now the nights are getting brighter.

In the members car discussion thread this was a suggestion from Doive
ust reading through your Member's cars posts, looks like it's all happening down your way! Have you had a quote for the respray? I was quoted silly prices to have mine done, although people have admitted that they really didn't want the hassle of painting an older car - simple accident insurance jobs is where the real money is at.

Have you managed to get to the bottom of your heater problem? First port of call could be the heater valve located where the heater pipe disappears through the bulkhead into the cabin. It's not unknown for these to seize open or closed, especially if the car has been standing for any length of time. Check if the dash lever is still connected via cable as well. I don't think the hot/cold mixer is any more complicated than controlling this valve - good old simple days before automatic climate control! I've got that on the Saab, and it's heating system is about 10% as efficient as that in the Chevette. Simple is best.

Keep us up to date with your Chevette goings on.

Stupid question but how can I tell if the heater valve is seized???? :oops:

Cheers Mull
Mull
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 29 Mar 2008, 09:34

Whoops see below. :roll:
Last edited by Shuvit-pinto on 29 Mar 2008, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 29 Mar 2008, 09:35

Just before the bulkhead in the hose there is an oval shaped block with a thin rod going to it. This is the heater valve. Try moving the rod or get someone to activate the control in the car and see if the little lever moves. If not its seized. If the lever on the panel in the car moves and the lever on the valve does not then you either have a broken activator rod or its bending somwere.
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby Mull » 29 Mar 2008, 19:45

Cheers Mark I shall go and investigate this week.
Mull
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Mull » 14 Apr 2008, 20:46

Ok I have investigated and it the lever is fine opening and closing as it should :) ....... but I think I am still only getting hot air?

Anything else it could be?
Mull
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Gordo » 15 Apr 2008, 08:18

If manually moving the lever on the valve doesn't turn it off (in one direction or the other), it may have sheared internally, with the actual valve mechanism staying open. Try crimping the hose to restrict the water flow to confirm and if it then goes cold/cooler, you will need to pick up a replacement.
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Chevette Girl » 16 Apr 2008, 03:21

Not sure how the British heater cores work, but the North American ones are set into a three-part compartment where the core is on one side, the fan on the other and the flap that your temp controls are attatched to is in the middle.

With the exception of my current Little Beast, every single Chevette I have owned has blown hot air on my toes all summer. I think it's because the flap that the controls are attached to no longer makes a good seal when it's set to "cold" so some heat leaks through it, as I noticed the hot toes shortly after the fan started spitting pieces of the foam that covers the flap through the vents...

My fix? As soon as it starts getting warm enough that I'm not going to use the heater again till fall, I pop the hoses off the heater core (and catch all the green drips, draining the core is a good idea too), then I take a little plastic plumbing elbow and stick the two hoses together with it. Presto, heater bypass.

Don't know if this is relevant to the British 'vettes, but hopefully it might give you another option to explore...
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Postby lmcair » 16 Apr 2008, 07:10

you could also just install a shut off valve in the heater line so that no coolant can travel through the heater box , during the summer months.
old trucks rule car shows
lmcair
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby CancerWagon » 18 Apr 2008, 18:31

Our North americal chevettes have a different heater system than EVERYONE else in the world :?
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualit├Ąt."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Trouble Shooting