ProZacs 1978 Chevini Wagon

Pics and specs of cars owned by members (if the thread isn't about your car then please do not post in it!)

Moderator: Moderators

ProZacs 1978 Chevini Wagon

Postby ProZac83 » 29 Dec 2007, 10:52

I was lucky enough to find a Chevette Estate (Chevanne) over this side of the world for next to nothing in okay-ish condition. It wasen't a runner, but i was never going to keep the standard engine anyway.

I was also given a 1978 Isuzu Gemini as a donor for the engine, box and diff. As it turned out, the nosecone of my Chevanne was in pretty beat-up condition, and kinda rusty to boot. Therefore the gemini was called on to donate a whole lot more than just the running gear. The Gemini guards are toast, but i'll find some others, or use bits of chevette ones to fix em up.

I was a little more surgical with removing the Chevanne nosecone.

The first trial fit of the panels went much better than i ever could have hoped for, which was an awesome confidence booster :).

I made up some little brackets to have a go at mounting it, but im really not happy with this method, so some more work to be done. Also, i want to keep the nosecone bolt-on, as it'll make installing engines and such much easier. As you can see in the pictures, the front of the enginebay looks like swiss-cheese, as i was a little to eager drilling out spot welds. I cut the offending portions away and welded in some new strips. 20mm wide each side, enough to reach the nosecone when its aligned with the guards and bonnet properly.

This eve i made a template for the new brackets. It will be welded to the nose-cone, and bolt to the front of the inner guard with some big-ass washers, should do the trick. Another benefit is that the nose will be adjustable, so i can fix up my panel gaps later one :)

How the car looks at the moment. Another day off work tomorrow, so i really want to get the nosecone mounted once and for all.

Other bits and pieces im doing include some sexy seats out of an Mitsubishi Starion i used to have (ive had a few of them :)). Currently it gets used as a bogan sun-chair for some light reading on the back lawn, heh.

New nolathane bushes throughout, and i mean every single bush. I work for an auto parts supplier, so the price of this sort of shizzle comes way down, quite handy really. Getting the bushes out of the front arms is a pain in the ass tho! Should be worth it tho.

Thats all for the moment. Please leave me any comments you have, i really look forward to being an active part of this forums, its to great to find heaps of like-minded people over there in the mother-land! ;)

Cheers.
ProZac83
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby ProZac83 » 10 Jan 2008, 05:36

Finally, back from an absolutely stunning holiday, involving alot of this:

Its like a wakeboard, but no bindings, just a rubberised top for a bit of grip, really really fun... But as this is a car forum, i'll get back down to business ;).

Had a spare couple of hours this arvo and was itching to get back into the garage. Had to get a new mandrel to hold my tiny cut-off wheels in my die-grinder, so that took an hour or so to get, then it was down to business. Incidentally, i hooked a couple of air compressors together, and man does it have a bit of grunt! Runs the die grinder flat out with no probs now, really really handy. A good source of little cut-off wheels is the much lager 'flex' cut off wheels, the 355mm diameter ones. Get a biiiiig hollow punch, about 50mm ID and punch out some little cut off wheels, put a hole in the middle and Bob's your uncle, really really heavy duty precise cut off wheels for cheap as chips!

Finished cutting out the brackets to hold the nosecone on and shaped them to fit. The plan is to weld them to the nose cone, and bolt them to the inner guards with big washers... Ideas on this plan? I think it should be okay, but i'd love some feedback, cheers.

ProZac83
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Return to Members Cars