Warnzees baby blue beast

Pics and specs of cars owned by members (if the thread isn't about your car then please do not post in it!)

Moderator: Moderators

Warnzees baby blue beast

Postby warnzee » 15 Oct 2007, 23:55

Hey everyone!
I was on this forum a couple of years ago but went into hiding after embarrasing myself by getting all confused about siamesed ports :oops:

Anyway, i've started working on my Chevette again, after a brief foray into the world of VeeDubs with a mK2 Golf GTi 16v (got a few cool ideas while i was there!).

The paintwork is pretty tatty -its about 4 different shades of light blue at the moment after sorting out the rust that got into it after it was stood for about a year (living by the seaside has its disadvantages) But i'm hoping to get a qiuck blow-over when i get the HS airdam, spoiler and HSR bonnet fitted. 8)

Like a few others on here its getting an XE lump stuffed in between the front wings, using the usual Manta bits (axle, sump, engine mounts, gearbox, and auto prop). Ive got a pair of twin 48 webers, and weve chopped up the standard XE 4-branch to face the right way, and to squeeze it down beside the engine mount.

I've fitted the axle without turreting the back end, by welding on some drop-down brackets to the axle. They do sit pretty low, but as the axle is constant to the floor i think it should be ok... time will tell.

I'm running adjustable spax shocks, with chopped springs all round which was fine when running as a daily with the 1256, but as the plan is to use it for track days and with the upgraded motor i'll 'suck it and see'.

The front brakes are re-con'd Volvo 4-pots and Carlton vented disks. The rears are the standard Manta drums.

I've only got a few pics at the mo as ive been too busy trying to fit the motor and get it all together before the weather changes and we loose all sunshine for another 9 months.

Here they are - gone a bit radical on the wheels - but i like em and thats all that matters! :wink:

Oh yeah - these were taken before we got the engine fitted! :roll:

I nearly jacked it all in the other day as i found out the XE motor i brought had 16 bent valves :twisted: Couldnt believe it, the car is nearly finished and everything! However, all is back on track as i've just arranged to sell the TDi lump i brought to fit in my Golf for a nice sum so i've got my beady little ones on a freshly built red-top on Evil Bay. 8)

I'll try and update this regularly so you can see how its going.

Let me know what you all think! :D
C20XE power.
warnzee
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

IT'S ALIIIIIVE!!! + alloys

Postby warnzee » 30 Oct 2007, 21:12

Result! :D

Finally got the beast fired up today 8)

We (my Dad and I) have spent the last 3 weeks or so working flat-out on it, with many ups and down. But today made all the grief seem worthwhile.

With the carbs bolted on, basic electronic ignition fitted (Ford EDIS4 unit and coil pack run off a trigger wheel bolted to the crank pulley), and all the fuel lines in, and a red top pump in the boot (plus a fire extinguisher stood next to me!) all was ready to go - the time had come!

Turned the key, and after a little cranking over (and despite the 2-year old petrol in the tank :oops: ) it roared into life! WOOHOO!!!! And f*** me did it roar! Never had a car with twin webers on before - my God they are loud - the exhaust system isnt connected but i couldnt hear that over the sound of the carbs! :shock:

Needless to say, i am well chuffed today. 8)

Off to Marsh Barton tomorrow morning before work to check out the cost of a refurb for another set of alloys ive got.

The Ronals on the car in the pics foul on the front shocks cos the offset is so high. I brought some OMP hubcentric spacers, but the centre bore on them isn't big enough so they're no good. :cry: That would have meant longer wheel studs though, and would have put extra strain on the bearings as well so decided against doing all that.

Heres a pic of the wheels off to the refurb shop tomorrow, ATS Cups in 7 x 15" flavour, ET26 with about 3 inches of dish (even if it is corroded at the minute)

Theres still quite a lot to do - sort out the throttle linkage, finish plumbing up the radiator, fit the Megasquirt to control the ignition timing, plumb in the brake lines, and finish off the heater blower assembly, and probably plenty else im forgetting here.

Then its final assembly time for the interior and brakes.

So its all coming together now, hopefully wont be long until i can get it MOT'd then its off to the bodyshop for a quick blow over and to have the HS airdam and spoiler and fibreglass HSR bonnet fitted 8)

Then.... CAINAGE :twisted: :twisted:
C20XE power.
warnzee
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Wheel update

Postby warnzee » 05 Nov 2007, 20:52

Well, after getting quoted nearly as much to have them refurbished as it would have cost to buy a new set I had a change of mind with the cups.

Instead of having them refurbished as they were, polished/silver with black detailing, i'm having them bead blasted, and powdercoated gloss white 8)

Should be ready in about 10 days, cant wait! :D
C20XE power.
warnzee
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby warnzee » 30 Dec 2007, 14:42

So the big news is ... its finished (kind of). Passed the MOT yesterday with only 2 minor advisories.

Still cant drive it though, tax and insurance doesnt start until 1st January.

However, on the quick drive down to the MOT station it felt nice and tight and responsive.
Theres a little hesitation when you floor it so im getting it on the rolling road as soon as i get some pennies.

As you can see from the pics i had another change of plan with the alloys - i picked up a set of TSWs that had been powdercoated in dark grey.
I decided not to fit the HS kit or have it resprayed - mainly due to the fact that ive run out of money. I plan on getting it done in the future, and when i do ill fit the ATS alloys then (which look awesome now ive got them back from the powdercoaters). 8)

Ive still got lots of ideas - maybe change to a Piazza back axle with an LSD, i want a better exhaust manifold and more power, and then probably strip the interior and cage it for serious track day use. :evil:
Ive got a pair of 300lbs front springs to go on as well, but im unsure of their ride height and i think they'll be too hard for everyday road use.

Heres a few pics, not the best as im nursing a serious case of man flu (hence the untidy interior).

Those Weber 48s sound awesome BTW - I cant wait!!!
C20XE power.
warnzee
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby warnzee » 03 May 2008, 19:05

Hey up!

Nothing major to report, except ive been really enjoying blowing the doors off nearly everything on the raod for the last few months! 8)

Anyway, the reason for the update, can you guess?

Thats right! Ive brought another set of alloys! :shock: :D :roll:

Ive never been too keen on the look with the TSWs, i think they look a little too big so ive purchased a set of 14" Le Castellets off a mk1 Golf.

It was a bit of a gamble, as i wasnt sure if they would clear the Volvo calipers. Ive got 2 other set of 14s - the Manta alloys it used to wear when it was still a 1256, and a set of Alfa wheels (brought for tyres). The Alfa wheels clear, but the Manta alloys don't. :?

Thankfully though, the new wheels fit.

Pics -

I reckon it looks much better like that, much more fitting and retro.

I need some low profile tyres (probably some 185/50s), and im going to space the fronts out as the wheels have a really high offest (et39 or something), and they sit miles into the arch.

Im going to polish em right up, then i'm going to focus on making the car look better - chrome bumpers going on, got 2 new rear arches (cheers Adam!), considering ditching the Engelmann mirrors for some chrome jobbies - but not bullet mirrors cos you can't see anything in em! and then im gonna attemp a respray.

Thats about it for now, wish me luck!
C20XE power.
warnzee
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Return to Members Cars