Kadett GT/E and Chevette HS....should I or shouldn't I????

General Chat about Chevettes?..put it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kadett GT/E and Chevette HS....should I or shouldn't I????

Postby GT2200 » 01 Apr 2007, 00:21

Ok guys, so this is my first posting on her and I'm hoping this is the right part of the forum? Just to give you a brief background on my....I'm an Opel GT man primarily, have owned 12 over the years, but my first ever car was a Kadett C Coupe 1200s, reg DKV 75T.

Anyway I've recently sold a car, to a chap up north and off the back of this sale he's put me in contact with a guy who has 2 rather interesting cars for sale.....so what do you rekon, should I or shouldn't I.....the cars are as follows:

Kadett Coupe GT/E....? She's been fully rebuilt, has an uprated 2.2 lump (plus the original 1.9 in a crate), an LSD, ZF box etc.....pics below:

And a

Chevette HS. She has a fresh engine in, excellent interior but the body may require a little fettling....she's completly original thought....pics below:

Now the problem......the cars aren't in the UK....they're not even on this half of the planet, but I have a feeling that I need that Kadett bad and if the right deal comes along the Chevette may have to join it.

If anyone can shed any light the Uk reg for the two cars was:

1. Kadett....MOY 127P

2. Chevette....AFO 887V

Thanks for any help offered or suggested.
No it's not fibreglass......its an O P E L.....GT!!!
GT2200
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby kw107 » 01 Apr 2007, 00:45

No questions asked, I would buy them both and as fast as I can :D

They are too rare to ask -> should I or shouldn't.
I miss my chevette :(
kw107
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby GT2200 » 01 Apr 2007, 00:54

Ok, appreciated but then heres the next question, what would you pay for them?
GT2200
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby mikuni » 01 Apr 2007, 04:16

I personally would do just about anything to have an Opel Kadett C GT/E like that in my possession, so I'd say go for it.

The HS is awesome aswell, so if you are going through the process of bringing one of them into the country etc then perhaps it might be worth looking into the option, so long as you have enough dollars to not only get them into the country, but to get them legal for the road also (or just put them in a really nice storage shed and drive them on tracks etc :D )
1980 Vauxhall Chevette Estate
mikuni
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby CancerWagon » 01 Apr 2007, 04:49

So I take it that you are in the UK and the cars are off in NZ (or simmilar far off land for you)

I'd prefer the HS myself, but that opel is certaily very eye catching. It's a tough choice indeed.
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby mikuni » 01 Apr 2007, 07:39

CancerWagon wrote:So I take it that you are in the UK and the cars are off in NZ (or simmilar far off land for you)

haha damn I wish that were true! Unfortunately we weren't lucky enough to get Kadett C's down here :cry: and HS' are as much of a rarity here as anywhere else.
1980 Vauxhall Chevette Estate
mikuni
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby CancerWagon » 01 Apr 2007, 09:09

You raise a valid point.....

Curse you GM and not spreading the niftyness far and wide!!!
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Shellysowner » 01 Apr 2007, 12:07

GT2200 wrote:Ok, appreciated but then heres the next question, what would you pay for them?

Ballpark - £10k including shipping. Depends how much you want them really I guess!
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
<s>1980 Chevette L Estate</s>
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby 14yearoldchevetter » 01 Apr 2007, 21:24

Welcome to the forum by the way since no one gas bothered to welcome you to this world of nutters :P :P

I would go for both if funds are there and slap the 1.9 back in the GT/E to make it original as they are incredibly rare over here so it wouldbe nice to have an original example to show for. The HS looks fantastic aswell and with a bit of work it would be up with the best.

Good luck and welcome once again! :D
Chevettes are like a disease, that wont go away!
14yearoldchevetter
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby sexychevette » 03 Apr 2007, 08:33

Whats up with that opel being right hand drive. Thought the germans were left hand drive...is it a UK version or something?

Go for the HS! its way more awesome. Mainly because of the badass interior :twisted: and everything else!

That opel just seems boring to me. Sterile german styles = inferior to english eccentricity -the chevette just seems way more exciting and extreme 8)
Chevettes are the Mantis
sexychevette
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby jifop » 03 Apr 2007, 13:23

sexychevette wrote:Whats up with that opel being right hand drive. Thought the germans were left hand drive...is it a UK version or something?

the vette has a scottish flag on it!
Before you say anything..... no i cant spell or type!

The post above is my own personal opinion, it is not meant to upset or cause offence, if it does bugger off.

Tim
jifop
Rust Junkie
Rust Junkie

Postby Harry Flatters » 03 Apr 2007, 17:30

AFO's a genuine known car, don't know the Kadett. If you want to buy them for the Kadett and sell the Chevette on I know someone who's after one.
Harry Flatters
Photographer of the year 2006
Photographer of the year 2006

Postby GT2200 » 18 Jul 2007, 01:00

Ok, been a bit quiet for a while, but thought you'd appreciate an update.

Have found out just about everything about the Kadett and am definately after it......

As for the Chevette......I'm lost apart from someone saying it's a known car. The DSG website is non-exsistant unless I have the wrong address and so if anyone has a contact who might know if there's an HS register I'd appreicate it.

I spent an hour on the phone tonight to the chap who currently owns them and we have an price for both, I just need to firm up shipping and customs and hopefully they'll be back in the UK.

Any help appreicated.
GT2200
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Shoveitpusher » 18 Jul 2007, 11:08

try Harry Flatters for dsg - i suspect if he says it's a know car then it's on the register.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby CancerWagon » 20 Jul 2007, 07:27

Try this if you want to look at web-sites that have "Dissappeared into the oblivonite." Most often you can get past copies of stuff that has long vanished.

http://www.archive.org/index.php
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby GT2200 » 20 Jul 2007, 16:21

Thanks for that CancerWagon.....it at least gave me an email address to try and thankfully one of the other guys on here has also offered some more info on the HS.

The biggest problem I'm now faced with is the cost of getting the cars back from their current location and then pending Customs cost......anyone know a nice Customs Officer :D (this element alone could add £2000 onto the purchase price and make the whole project fall flat!), then there's the shipping!

Keep your fingers crossed......because these cars need to be in the UK / Ireland to be appreciated!
GT2200
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 20 Jul 2007, 21:39

i didn't think you needed to pay customs charges as they're not new goods :?
what's wrong with just driving the cars back to the UK :?:
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby GT2200 » 20 Jul 2007, 23:24

Herbie_Flowers wrote:i didn't think you needed to pay customs charges as they're not new goods :?
what's wrong with just driving the cars back to the UK :?:

Herbie.....you need to read up the top....they're not on this half of the planet......to give you an idea I've roughly calculated the fuel cost for both cars to be £2500....that's only slightly more than the shipping cost......plus add on the flights to where they are and then food and accomodation coming back......so all in probably about £4000!.....it would be one hell of a road trip though!

As for customs......I know tell me about it, not that our Government want to make money out of everything......as the ad say....'like the Murphys I'm not bitter!'
GT2200
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby steve p » 06 Mar 2008, 20:39

What happened?
Did you buy the cars or not?
Steve
steve p
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby GT2200 » 18 Apr 2008, 11:43

Steve,

Sent you a PM, give me buzz when you fancy a chat.

Been off-line for a while due illness.

Mark
GT2200
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby steve p » 18 Apr 2008, 16:03

Just got message will ring soon!
Steve
steve p
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Re: Kadett GT/E and Chevette HS....should I or shouldn't I??

Postby Limeysore » 04 Jun 2015, 03:37

I understand that this is a very old string however, I just came across this site while I was doing some reseach on a car that belonged to a dealer that I worked for back in the late 70's. Not a Chevette but an Opel Kadett GTE. The car in shown in the string is in restored condition, I knew the car when it was still a competitive rally car having competed in numerous events including the RAC. The car was owned by McGill Automotive in St Albans and was part of the "Dealer Opel Team" McGill sold the car in the late 70's (78/79?) to a guy from Hexham who ran a race and rally prep shop, the name of which escapes me. The restored car is RHD so I suspect that means it had a shell swap as it was orinally LHD. Rather than bore you with my ramblings here is a picture of the car in her McGill livery before the RAC rally (76 or 77 can't recall which) The guy in the suit is McGill Sales director Alan Sharp and the mechanics Kim and Tony Harrington.

Chris Sore
Calgary Canada
Attachments
McGill GTE.jpg
MOY 127P
McGill GTE.jpg (336.43 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
photo.jpg
McGill logo
photo.jpg (38.31 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
Limeysore
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby tonyrickard » 11 Aug 2016, 16:23

Another one coming back to this old thread. I stumbled across this searching for some history of an old car I had - MOY 127P - the Kadett GT/E

I owned this in 1984-5, bought as a non runner for £750, got it back on the road and ran it for few road rally events before breaking that engine, got married and sold it as another non-runner for a similar amount!

Interesting to find some history and that it ran in the RAC Rally in 1976

This was the car in 1985:

gte2.jpg
gte2.jpg (288.4 KiB) Viewed 3510 times

gte.jpg
gte.jpg (128.41 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
tonyrickard
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Trevordadd » 27 Aug 2017, 14:02

Hi
Just come across this post about kadett moy127p and am doing a bit of searching about its fate, I owned the car in the early eighties , living in Cornwall and had bought it from someone up north, I now have a bit more knowledge from posting on a Facebook page ' the golden years of rallying'
I'm trying to find the person I bought it from and what happened after I sold it
It sounds as though you might have been my buyer?

I believe the reshellelled reengined'original ' works car is now in Malaysia!!
If you can shed any more light on the history I would be very grateful
Trevor
Trevordadd
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Return to General Chevette Discussion