Newbie with questions

General Chat about Chevettes?..put it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie with questions

Postby beatcars » 14 Mar 2007, 17:25

Hello members! I have me an 81 4door 4speed car with AC here in Wisconsin. The AC of course blows warm now. I have a few options and am fielding ideas. Its stock 1.6 is running well though seems to weep some antifreeze from deep in behind the water pump area, it doesn't leak it hardly at all until you turn it off, then dribbles until cool :? (wierd huh?). The car is surprisingly not very rusty but for a hole in the drivers floor. (Does that part hold water or what?)

Anyway I have read about 2.8 swaps, and I have myself an 87 S10 Blazer 4x4 with the 2.8, it needs exh manifold gaskets that I can do before swapping, (unless theres cheap 2.8 headers that fit Chevettes?)Also have an 88 S10 pickup with a 2.5 and 5 speed. I have been told I can use the Blazer's 2.8 and the S10's 5 speed and not even need to change the Chevettes driveshaft. Could it be? I would love to skip putting the S10's rear axle in since changing to leaf springs from coils seems daunting. They did say I need to Fabricate a tranny mount. How do the motor mounts work?
Well thats alot of questions, maybe we'll just start with that!

Anybody need parts? I can oblige especially from the Chevys. I have another Blazer 1985 I think, that is the same but the 2.8 has a bad bearing.
1979 (?) 4Door begging to be modified to run quicker
beatcars
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby beatcars » 14 Mar 2007, 21:02

Or, should I just tune up the 1.6L a bit? What are the top 3 cheap power increasers for this little guy? :?:
beatcars
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 14 Mar 2007, 23:23

hello, you're going to have to wait for the North American members to reply to your mechanical questions as they're are a bit of an unknown entity to us European/rest of the world members :?

Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby CancerWagon » 15 Mar 2007, 00:18

Sounds like the seal behind the water pump has gone bad, fortunately on a 1600cc the water pump is rather easy to get at and replace (the gasket alone if needed)

2.5L iron duke VS the 2.8 v6? Go with the 2.8, it'll be more work, but well worth your effort. In Either aplication you will need to fabricate engine mounts and (with the v6) make changes to the firewall area. Every conversion I've seen images of (tons on cardomain) the exhaust headers were custom made by usually a muffler shop of some sort.

The driveshaft's front spline will interchange with most any 1970-1990 GM RWD transmissions/gearboxes. If you mount your new engine/gearbox in the right spot you can keep the stock driveshaft. Failing that, bring the driveshaft with the ends you need to a respectable truck shop that can make and balance driveshafts.

Before I could advise on what you can do to spruce up your existing 1600cc, I need to know a little more about it... can you see the engine code on the hood/bonnet emmissions sticker? There were so many DIFFERENT little things GM did to thoes engines in the US and Canada it's insane. Fortunately all interchangable. :twisted:
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby beatcars » 15 Mar 2007, 14:37

Thanks for the replys, ya I noticed theres a big gap between continents on this site, hello fellow enthusiasts! Hopefully that can be overcome in some way.
I will check out my emissions sticker this weekend, for the moment the car is not at my residence as there is no room.
Another site recommended opening the intake up a bit by either getting an open element air filter or drilling holes in the stock air cleaner shell, (easy). The time I have available to work on projects is leaning me twards just helping out the 1.6, I am mechanically inclined enough to remove the head if its not tooo costly to have some things bored out/ported maybe?
Whats the safe rev range for these little guys, and would 5w30 oil be best?
beatcars
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby CancerWagon » 16 Mar 2007, 02:11

I run 10w30 in the heat of summer and 5W the rest of the year. Check on the Oil filler cap and dipstick.

A important factor to keep in mind is local emission testing regulations. Many states and provinces require catalytic converters etc. Know the rules before you get started in engine modding.

Drilling holes in the cleaner outer edges looks silly. Cutting away all the exterior to completely expose the filter, better. Closing off the existing air cleaner inlet, and making a direct, hidden in the grille ram-air on the left side next to the radiator is a fancier method. Getting a dual outlet exhaust manifiold is a 5HP increase. Head / intake porting, and running a webber carb should work wonders.

I've revved these engines to 7000, but it does cause damage. I've damaged valves and mufflers alike.
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby beatcars » 20 Mar 2007, 21:06

[quote="CancerWagon"]

making a direct, hidden in the grille ram-air on the left side next to the radiator is a fancier method. Getting a dual outlet exhaust manifiold is a 5HP increase. Head / intake porting, and running a webber carb should work wonders.
:D
...Hmmm, I have looked closer at my car and the doorjam says built in '79. Also I already have a stock intake like you suggested, comes in from the grille, as well as a stock manifold that looks like headers (similar) and has the two pipes down to a collector. The coolest thing? No emissions testing where I'm from!
Do you know what kind of a place I would look for to port the head, how much $, and if I'd need to get a weber carb or could stick with my stock 2 barrel?
beatcars
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby beatcars » 20 Mar 2007, 21:15

P.S. No stickers to be found in the engine bay, I have the VIN if that helps. Will need to post it later.
beatcars
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby beatcars » 21 Mar 2007, 02:43

VIN
1B68OAA122727

Does that tell us anything?
beatcars
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby CancerWagon » 22 Mar 2007, 02:14

I'll look into my literature when I get home.

I'd guess it's the the non computer controlled holley 5210 setup, with a three colour/hose vacuume valve next to the thermostat housing...
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

here one for your info log

Postby 76 scooter » 01 Apr 2007, 04:34

found this 'vette to be quite the little sleeper!http://www.fastchevettes.com/default.htm
76 scooter
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby CancerWagon » 01 Apr 2007, 05:38

Well for playing with the 1600cc, this page can give you an idea of what you can start with.

http://www.qsl.net/n3wrj/2index.html

(BE DAMNED if I can find the box with my older shop manuals) :cry:
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Chevette Girl » 08 Apr 2007, 18:10

CancerWagon wrote:(BE DAMNED if I can find the box with my older shop manuals) :cry:

Sorry, oldest I've got is '82... lemme know if that might help...

(BTW, welcome to the forum!)
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Return to General Chevette Discussion