V8 Chevette

General Chat about Chevettes?..put it here.

Moderator: Moderators

V8 Chevette

Postby default_user » 11 Sep 2005, 17:57

OK, went to Liverpool Saturday to collect the V8 Shuvit I bought on eBay. To answer one or two questions:

1. What does it sound like?
Very meaty and loud. It sounds awesome. It's got practically no silencing, just a big fat pipe all the way through to a small Peco box on the back. I think this will have to be changed. I want a more muted roar. Currently it would be too much for journeys of any length.

2. What's the condition of it?
Not as good as it looked or was described. Still pretty good however. The paintwork is tatty but there's no visible rust on top and underneath looks sound as far as I've managed to survey. I'd like to get it on a proper ramp somethime to have a good poke around underneath. I can see one or two minor jobs that need doing from lying on the road. The engine bay is excellent with millimeters to spare both sides and at the back. The mechanical work for the conversion is to a good standard. Interior is excellent. The bucket seats and harnesses look brand new. The rest of it has been detailed in red and black quite well.

3. How fast does it go.
Dunno. I've only driven it a few miles and it's a bit disappointing. I expected to be slammed back in my seat but it seems to be holding back quite a lot. I suspect it needs a seriously good tune. You can feel the potential though....

If anyone has any more questions ask away.

Now, the bad bit. I hope someone can shed some light on this. When I drove it the first time everything seemed OK, apart from the apparent lack of grunt. However, the second time I drove it there was a loud clicking noise that I couldn't pinpoint. I thought it was something to do with the wheels as it seemed to be a rotational thing, varying with speed. I jacked the front up and checked both front wheels by rotating them and heard nothing. Then I jacked up the back one side at a time and ran the engine in first to rotate the lifted wheel. The clicking was very apparent this time and seems to be coming from the gearbox. If I push the gear lever forward it decreases the noise. I tried driving it again then and it seems to be getting worse. But when you push the gear lever forward in whatever gear your in the noise decreases. Any ideas?
default_user
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby hsr2.6 » 11 Sep 2005, 19:39

it could be the selecter gates or the box is junked is the engine std......
rally drivers do it sideways.............well the quick ones do....................
hsr2.6
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Harry Flatters » 11 Sep 2005, 20:36

Did you buy this thing off Ebay without looking at it first? You're a braver man than I am!

Not as good as it .... was described

They never are!

The engine looked to be a standard SD1 / P5B / P6 or even a Range Rover engine from the Ebay photos. Those Strombergs don't half strangle them and if it's a Rangey one they're low compression and very detuned.

They're also prone to the sort of faults you'd get if it's seen hardly any use for years. Give it a good tune up first & go through the carbs & ignition thoroughly. If push comes to shove(it) the engine itself is probably the bit you could most afford to throw away, & you could replace it with a later injection engine....

Can you identify what gearbox is on it?
Harry Flatters
Photographer of the year 2006

Postby default_user » 12 Sep 2005, 07:33

As far as I can tell this is a standard Rover SD1 engine but I have no experience with V8s. Any idea where I'd look on the 'box for an ID number? I'm pretty much resigned to the idea of changing the box (it does sound awful) so any ideas where I could source one?
default_user
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Harry Flatters » 12 Sep 2005, 21:21

Rover SD1 box is an LT77; it's a fattish shortish looking gearbox; main casing oval in cross section with strengthening ribs horizontally and vertically all round it. The serial number is on the lower right hand side of the main casing and normally runs G(XX)A (serial number)(suffix) - I think 'XX' is 53 for a V8, it is on Rangeys anyway.

They're prone to various problems mostly to do with everything getting slack in the box, particularly input shaft and layshaft.

You should be able to get one from scrappies or reconditioners at sensible money, or Ebay or the V8 forums. The accepted thing to do for scrap LT77s in 4x4s is use the later R380 box which is much better, so I'd guess this applies as well.
Harry Flatters

GOOD NEWS!!

Postby default_user » 13 Sep 2005, 19:46

My gearbox is OK! I thought I'd remove the centre console so I could look through the old gearstick aperture to see how difficult the top bolts on the bellhousing would be to get to, thinking I was going to have to remove the 'box. I had a great view of the selector housing where it connects to the back of the 'box so I could see straight away that the bushes which sit between the housing and box were perished and falling apart. This meant that there was considerable movement on the selector which had dropped down and was fouling the propshaft. All I need to do is fit new bushes. Fantastic! Anybody know where I can get some?
default_user
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Harry Flatters » 13 Sep 2005, 21:16

Well that's a result!

Try Rimmer Brothers
Harry Flatters

Thanks

Postby default_user » 13 Sep 2005, 21:38

Thanks for all the advice Harry.
default_user
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Harry Flatters » 13 Sep 2005, 22:08

No worries - you have to let me drive the car sometime tho!
Harry Flatters

Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!

Postby default_user » 13 Sep 2005, 22:31

Seriously, I bet there's a lot of people out there who'd love to have a go in this machine. Anyone who wants to is welcome so if you're at a meet/event/whatever and you see it just ask....
default_user
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Re: Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough!

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 13 Sep 2005, 22:56

default_user wrote:Seriously, I bet there's a lot of people out there who'd love to have a go in this machine. Anyone who wants to is welcome so if you're at a meet/event/whatever and you see it just ask....

you can bet i will mate :)
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby iety2004 » 13 Sep 2005, 23:50

Haha, im swansea/cardiff which i think is classed as south wales.

think there seems to be more chevette/kadett owner in south wales than in any other place.

Or have i read only a couple?
I ain't getting in no plane!
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to General Chevette Discussion