I cant get my car started

If it`s got wires, it`ll be in here.

Moderator: Moderators

I cant get my car started

Postby Guest » 06 Mar 2005, 20:33

I have a 1987 2 door chevette, 5 speed, 1.6L. No power will go on nothing works. The first time i tried starting it everything worked. But the battry didnt have enough juice to start it. I think it might be a ground wire that has shorted out. Can any one help me out.

Postby Kevins /// Kustoms /// » 06 Mar 2005, 20:52

Just so you guys know. This is my post i just for got to sign in.

Kevins /// Kustoms ///
My chevette is gunna go, 2.8L all beefed up here we come. :p.
Kevins /// Kustoms ///
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby shuvit-tim » 06 Mar 2005, 21:48

good eb a number of things:

- bad earth - if the main earth to your chassis (on a nova it's a braided wire from the gearbox to the chassis) has frayed and isnt connected, nothing will work. Likewise, some components such as your alternator may have earth wires rather than being earthed through the point they are attached. if particular components arent earthed they wont work

is the battery holding a charge? Get a battery tester. take tgh ebattery out of th ecar and charge it. test it after anhour of charging to see if it is charging at all: if not, battery needs replacing. if it is charging, Charge it overnight. Then leave it for 24 hours (not fitted) and test it. If it hasnt held it's charge, replace the battery. If it has held th echarge, refit it to the vehicle but dont try to start it or run anything off it bu tconnect it up. leave it for 24 hours, test it. IF the battery has lost it's charge, then there is a short circuit somewhere that you are going to have to root around to find :?

is the alternator working? get a tester and see if the alternator is charging the battery in the firstplace.

Is the startermotor working? (this i think is unlikely to be the problem as you said nothing works) but if it is knackered you can usually hear a clicking noise as you try to start the car but nowt else.

electrics suck as there is always so many different possible causes and it is always the most awkward one :? good example for you: my mates nova sport wouldnt start at a rally, but whenever he turned the engine over the windscren wipers would go. after much faffing we got the car to start regularly more by lucky fiddling than judgement (as we tested everything and it all worked - then the car just recovered). however, the windscreen wipers still came on when you turned the ignition. after much faffing we just pulled off ALL connections to the windscreen wipers. we started the engine and sure enough they STILL worked! mad!
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby Kevins /// Kustoms /// » 07 Mar 2005, 22:33

Hey thanks for the help I found out that my battery is dead and a ground wire that conects to my alternator was un-hooked. After i get her running im moving on to the cooling system, after that ill hope to have my carb and alternator rebuilt. Iv already done plugs, wires and air cleaner. so i hope all goes well so i can drive her home from storage. Dont wanna pay for another tow :P. Hope to be building up a 2.8L v6 out of a camaro for is this summer. :wink:

Kevins /// Kustoms ///
My chevette is gunna go, 2.8L all beefed up here we come. :p.
Kevins /// Kustoms ///
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby shuvit-tim » 08 Mar 2005, 00:12

glad you got it sorted mate, it's often somethign simple with electrics, it just takes time to find out exactly what it is as you cant just what's not working.
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim

Return to Electrical