WTD OHV rocker stud

Buy or Sell Chevette/GM things.

Moderator: Moderators

WTD OHV rocker stud

Postby pbottomley » 19 Jan 2008, 11:51

A*se Bannanas just stripped a thread on a OHV rocker stud, Has anyone got any?

I think I already know the answer but its worth asking..... :D

PS doesnt matter is its a 1256, 1054 or 1159, can drill and ream the hole to fit... :D
pbottomley

Postby Gordo » 19 Jan 2008, 14:40

Which size stud is it? The threads for the locknut are different.
Easier way t oidentify them, I believe, is whether the engine used the early, solid pushrods or the later, hollow, pushrods.

I've a specially machined holder I made for aligning them for repressing - easy enough to make if you've access to a machine shop.
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby pbottomley » 19 Jan 2008, 15:09

Its the solid pushrod model (its actually a 1159cc engine)

The 1256 studs for the rockers are larger ina 1256 but thats OKAY by me as I have access to a workshop and machines now so can make it fit!
pbottomley

Postby pbottomley » 20 Jan 2008, 18:24

could you send me some idea of your special tool, As the workshop will have to make something in oder to push fit the stud....

The Vauxhall workshop manual talk about a wooden angled box to sit the head on, but not a lot else.
pbottomley

Postby Gordo » 21 Jan 2008, 00:50

At the time I was a student and used some of the metrology (measuring) tools. IIRC, I used a precision degree tool against the stud and made up a couple of short inclined plates with feet for supporting the head edge. I used a DTI attached to the press to check the old stud position was vertical - you may need some shim stock to get it right.
I pulled the stud by stacking the rocker balls on it and tightening down a nut onto them, adding balls as required. You could use washers or a close fitting piece of heavy tubing - if you threads are damaged, you may need to weld something onto the stud and use a puller or similar.
It's actually pretty basic and a few minutes thinking will probably get you a better design.
I just set it to the same height as the others, this was actually for a mate's car using a spare stud from a cut up head - for porting clearances/metal thickness. It was a stock engine and was still fine, last I heard.
The "correct" method is to open up the hole and press in an oversize base stud - darned if I know where you'd get one now.
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Cars/Parts Sales & Wants