The National 2007 initial discussion

A new yearly Chevette weekend in the UK

Moderator: Moderators

The National 2007 initial discussion

Postby Shellysowner » 24 Sep 2006, 17:57

OK then lads and lasses - no time like the present to start the ball rolling for 2007.

What did/didn't you like at this year's national event?

What should we keep/change for next year?

If you were free but didn't come - what put you off?
Last edited by Shellysowner on 04 Jul 2007, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
<s>1980 Chevette L Estate</s>
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby shuvit-tim » 24 Sep 2006, 17:59

I didnt like that I wasnt there :lol:
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby Harry Flatters » 24 Sep 2006, 21:42

I didn't like the lasagne - it was far too big, there was no way any normal human could have eaten it.

(Herbie Flowers - leaps tall lasagnes with a single bound ...)
Last edited by Harry Flatters on 24 Sep 2006, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Flatters
Photographer of the year 2006
Photographer of the year 2006

Postby Doive » 24 Sep 2006, 23:19

I agree, that lasagna was ridiculous. What were they thinking. It was considerably bigger than Nick.

I think next year, I'd like to camp at the dragster site with entry and camping for 25 quid, then on the saturday venture further afield to have a look around the wider area.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby CancerWagon » 25 Sep 2006, 00:39

What I did like.... the fact that there was one, with tons of fun stuff and apparantly massive Lasagna. What I didn't like .... someone already said it (wasn't there.)

Keep the event.

What put me off. The Atlantic Ocean. :D
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Doive » 25 Sep 2006, 00:41

:lol:

I'm afraid calculating an average point for the forum users would have placed us somewhere around the Marianas Trench.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby CancerWagon » 25 Sep 2006, 01:38

Should I scan in my design for a chevette based catamaran? 8)
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Doive » 25 Sep 2006, 08:46

If it's anything like my car, the salt water will cause it to last about 45 seconds.

Perhaps you guys could organise your own Canadian national event?

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Re: The National 2007

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 26 Sep 2006, 23:03

Shellysowner wrote:What did/didn't you like at this year's national event?

1 - putting names to faces and getting to know you, although Mark and I had previously met before.
2 - the Heritage Centre, but i wouldn't go again.
3 - the drag racing.
4 - the pub, although i wouldn't have the lasagne again as i didn't eat again all week.......NOT!!! however, i did like the first bill they gave us.
5 - noticing the different panel gaps in Ralphs cars rear valance.
6 - the weather.

dislikes:
1 - the bl00dy crane flies
2 - the campsite, well the old geezer who asked us to be quiet. we got our own back by having to unzip about 12 tent zips between us.
3 - not normally a drinker i was a bit miffed at the lack of beer when feeling well up for it.
4 - getting split-up at the entrance to Avon Park and having to pay full whack.
5 - Doives wind.
6 - Pintos wind.
Shellysowner wrote:What should we keep/change for next year?

try and camp at Avon Park. i don't think you could have improved the weekend much more Ralph due to the low turn out of people.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Re: The National 2007

Postby Shellysowner » 26 Sep 2006, 23:10

Herbie_Flowers wrote:5 - noticing the different panel gaps in Ralphs cars rear valance.

k then, what I didn't like: You and Mark going round and round my car and picking up on every little fault, especially when you were too lazy to even bring yours :wink: :P

Herbie_Flowers wrote:3 - not normally a drinker i was a bit miffed at the lack of beer when feeling well up for it.

The Chevettes.com whisky comittee as chaired by Dave didn't let you down though did it?

Herbie_Flowers wrote:4 - getting split-up at the entrance to Avon Park and having to pay full whack.

Yes I'm sorry that was my fault - but it was only £3 extra and you did get a free exhaust! It only really happened because you weren't in your chevettes, so what have we learned lads? :P
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
Shellysowner

Postby Doive » 27 Sep 2006, 21:27

The motto of the weekend - bring beer!! I was going to bring a 9 gallon keg down, but never had time to get it and allow it to settle.

I WILL try and bring my car next year...

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby jifop » 28 Sep 2006, 10:15

i'll be there next year! so you'll all enjoy it!

but i'm not so sure camping at avon park is such a great idea, if its anything like Santa pod, its not eactly the relaxing surroundings i would expect from the chevettes meet! i may be wrong though but it does end up like a festival site and if the weathers bad your fudged.
Before you say anything..... no i cant spell or type!

The post above is my own personal opinion, it is not meant to upset or cause offence, if it does bugger off.

Tim
jifop
Rust Junkie
Rust Junkie

Postby Shellysowner » 28 Sep 2006, 14:59

Hmmm, you have yourself a point there Tim. Thing is what we really need is a large-ish sort of field, miles from anyone who we might disturb but close to various amenities, preferably in the Stratford area as, speaking personally, I really want to go back to the hot rod drags - if I only saw those four nostalgia gassers make side-by-side passes again and went home again I'd be happy!

1980 Chevette L Hatch
Shellysowner

Postby jifop » 28 Sep 2006, 15:57

i see what you mean!

i'll chat with you about it later!
Before you say anything..... no i cant spell or type!

The post above is my own personal opinion, it is not meant to upset or cause offence, if it does bugger off.

Tim
jifop
Rust Junkie
Rust Junkie

Postby Doive » 29 Sep 2006, 08:47

What you need is contact with a local farmer, who is friendly and willing to lend us a field for the weekend.

I had guessed the campsite at the hot rods would be a bit noisy and lively of an evening.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shellysowner » 29 Sep 2006, 10:36

Doive wrote:What you need is contact with a local farmer, who is friendly and willing to lend us a field for the weekend.

Ah but therein lies the problem - random field has no facilities. I don't think we need to worry too much about quiet do we? I don't remember there being any quiet over the entire weekend!

1980 Chevette L Hatch
Shellysowner

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 29 Sep 2006, 16:38

i don't see noise being a problem either. as for the site being like a festival site so what. i've been to plenty of festivals and it's always been great. if the weathers bad it makes no difference whether you camp at a proper campsite or in a field.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Shellysowner » 29 Sep 2006, 16:50

Herbie_Flowers wrote:i don't see noise being a problem either. as for the site being like a festival site so what. i've been to plenty of festivals and it's always been great. if the weathers bad it makes no difference whether you camp at a proper campsite or in a field.

Ah, but here's the thing - the National is meant to be for everyone not just the likes of us ruffians so we need to be able to cater for families and other civilised people too.

The good thing about Avon Park though is that the camping field is MASSIVE and there's absolutely no reason why we have to park near the strip or everyone else - I was thinking by that clump of trees might be a good place, it's on a shallow slope so should drain well too!

1980 Chevette L Hatch
Shellysowner

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 29 Sep 2006, 16:54

not as steep a slope as that other campsite i hope Ralph as i slid to the front of my tent :)
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Shellysowner » 29 Sep 2006, 16:59

Yeah nowhere near as steep as that. I had very cold feet in the morning as they were outside!!!!

1980 Chevette L Hatch
Shellysowner

Postby Doive » 29 Sep 2006, 18:00

Would have nothing to do with the fact that you were sleeping in a 1942 canvas Scout tent would it? :D

I reckon we could get away with staying at Avon park, as long as we were miles away from everyone else in that far corner. It makes financial sense as well, 18 quid for the drags for a day with say a tenner a night for camping on top of that, or 25 quid for the weekend and free camping thrown in. Plus we can go out on the Saturday off site to a place of general interest.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shellysowner » 29 Sep 2006, 18:02

Doive wrote:Would have nothing to do with the fact that you were sleeping in a 1942 canvas Scout tent would it? :D

If it aint broke...

I must admit, one of the disadvantages to retro camping is that the tent doesn't have a built in groundsheet.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
Shellysowner

Postby Shellysowner » 23 Dec 2006, 21:09

I was just enjoying reading back through these national threads again, what fun we had!

I have been mentioning next years event to everyone chevette-related that I meet and I hope that you have all been doing the same!

Also planning to do some flyers for Billing :D

1980 Chevette L Hatch
Shellysowner

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 08 Apr 2007, 10:11

Any news on this years event Ralph?

ShoveitNZ is well up for bringing his Rottavet with him.

I will be bringing SYBil.
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby Shellysowner » 08 Apr 2007, 10:34

Was leaving it a bit closer to the time to confirm things but it'll be the same time of the year as last year - mid-september and rather than sending me the money in advance you should just be able to turn up. None of this is confirmed yet though, I'll keep you posted.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
Shellysowner

Next

Return to The Chevettes.com National Event