Marmite

Totally off-topic random area where anything goes.

Moderator: Moderators

Love it or hate it?

Love it!
50%
Hate it!
50%

Total votes : 14

Postby jayen4 » 09 Dec 2005, 02:58

I like Lemon Cheese (Duerr's). For those that don't know,it's sort of like lemon curd,but much nicer !! :)
jayen4
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Doive » 09 Dec 2005, 03:17

Lemon curd.... should that not read lemon turd?

I'm with Ralph on this one. Ick ick and again I say ick.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby shuvit-tim » 09 Dec 2005, 12:52

lemon curd is not the devil! particularly the luminous yellow one full of sugar that you used to get in lemon curd tarts in school dinners (i suspect it may have been a derivative or swarfega). does anyone know the brand!?
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby Chevette Girl » 10 Dec 2005, 20:10

What's lemon curd?

(and by the way, I think I'd like broccoli and bean sprout soup... I know I've put both in the same stir-fry...)

I'll have to try that tea combo, Doive... how much loose tea do you use per Tetley teabag? I imagine this isn't a put-milk-in-it kind of tea?

Do you have trouble with the caffeine in tea, or is it coffee in general that knocks your heart rythm for a loop? Caffeinated coffee gives me the worst probs, followed by Coke,followed by tea, no prob at all with decaffeinated drinks or chocolate...
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Postby Shellysowner » 10 Dec 2005, 20:21

Chevette Girl wrote:What's lemon curd?

It's fairly close to nuclear waste but in a jar... the main difference is that it doesn't taste as nice!

Chevette Girl wrote:
I'll have to try that tea combo, Doive... how much loose tea do you use per Tetley teabag? I imagine this isn't a put-milk-in-it kind of tea?

I'd imagine that it definitely is 'put-milk-in-it' kind of tea! All you people on the wrong side of the pond have never really 'got' tea though have you :wink: :lol:
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 10 Dec 2005, 20:21

ever had lemon meringue pie? it's very similar to the lemon in that - curded. you need a teapot to make a cup of tea with loose tea. the normal amount of loose tea to use is one spoon per person plus one for the pot - 5ml size, called a teaspoon believe it or not and yes you can add milk if you want to.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Doive » 10 Dec 2005, 21:04

The making of the tea isn't an exact science, rather one that comes with experience! I put the teabag in and then sprinkle loose leaf earl grey in on top until the bag is just about covered. Make sure you pre-warm the pot, then put the tea strainer in and fill with hot water. Allow to brew for about five minutes, stir tea inside the strainer, then remove and stir tea in pot itself. This little mix is poured into milk, not milk poured into it (it makes a difference believe it or not). Add sugar to taste. Fussy method, but worth it as everyone who visits comments on how good the tea is!

Tea generally causes me no problems, I can have several cups a day but try to limit it to two or three for good measure. But one strong cup of coffee can send me right off. Coke and stuff is ok, but I have to keep an eye on the net caffiene intake, so lethal substances like red bull are right out. I once knew a guy who boil down guinness to reduce it to a thick sludge, then crush pro plus tablets into it before topping up with red bull. He used to drink pints of the stuff, regularly collapsing from caffiene overdose. He thought it was a great laugh :shock: :shock: :shock:

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 10 Dec 2005, 21:08

i prefer milk added to tea
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby grim_b » 10 Dec 2005, 21:09

Doive,

You missed these steps: Go to cupboard and remove clean hand knitted jumper and sit in front of the wireless in the trusty rocking chair. Enjoying the whole Englishness of the Tea using just the saucer to sip at it... :lol:
I loved my car, but she has to go.... :(
grim_b
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Doive » 10 Dec 2005, 21:14

....whilst of course listening to some bally chaps singing 'Land of Hope and Glory' on the good old wireless. Pass the moustache comb.

Except I'm not english.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shellysowner » 10 Dec 2005, 21:16

Doive wrote:I once knew a guy who boil down guinness to reduce it to a thick sludge, then crush pro plus tablets into it before topping up with red bull. He used to drink pints of the stuff, regularly collapsing from caffiene overdose. He thought it was a great laugh :shock: :shock: :shock:

Blimey! On a related note have you seen those fruit flavoured sweets you can get now (they'll be in your local newsagents near to the extra strong mints) which are full of caffeine and taurine? Madness I tells ya!

My housemate said he once necked a 6-pack of Red Bull and strip of Pro Plus to enable him to work for a very long period... what actually happened was he had to go to bed for about 2 days!!!

Another mate got properly hooked on Red Bull / Red Bull substitutes while we were touring scotland... he went a bit wierd and what properly screwed him up was when he drank loads of vodka-red bulls! I wouldn't touch the stuff - I was sticking to the Irn Bru :D You can see why all these crazy caffeine/taurine drinks are illegal in France, Canada (until recently) and Denmark! Apparently extreme sports in these countries suffer greatly due to lack of sponsorship :shock:
Shellysowner

Postby Doive » 10 Dec 2005, 21:25

The stuff is truly lethal, especially vodka red bull where the vodka slows the heart down and the red bull tries to speed it up again - can cause defibrillation in extreme cases. Believe me, I've studied heart conditions and external factors a lot in the last five years! Excessive amountsof red bull can send the heart into an overload condition, where the pacemaker just simply gives up what it is doing and lets the heart set it's own rhythm - which of course it was never intended to do, so it just goes into a spasm and kills the person. So many young people reckon they are invincible, and so just keep on drinking this sh1t - I learned the hard way before I fell into all that, and in some ways I'm very glad I have.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Chevette Girl » 10 Dec 2005, 21:46

Shellysowner wrote:
I'd imagine that it definitely is 'put-milk-in-it' kind of tea! All you people on the wrong side of the pond have never really 'got' tea though have you :wink: :lol:

I admit to being unwashed heathen, I regularly make tea in my mug, sometimes I even use the bag twice...

Although when more than one person wants tea at my place, I haul out the old Brown Betty for regular tea or the Chinese teapot (I made it a tea cozy and everything) for green, Oolong or jasmine tea).

I like milk (no sugar, ick) in Orange Pekoe and English Breakfast, but I like honey in my Earl Grey, hence not being sure if Doive's concoction would be good with milk or not... Tetley came out with some nice fruity flavours a while back and I don't like milk in those either, or in chamomile and peppermint tea... Ooh, that reminds me, I've got Tetley black currant tea, and I haven't had any other caffeine today... Mmm... Maybe I'll even use the teapot...

Doive, I'm glad you're being sensible about the whole caffeine-related heart thing, so many people I know go and do it anyway even though they know they shouldn't... My dad died a few years back of sudden cardiac death (you described it as the pacemaker quitting), although we don't think it was triggered by anything in particular... <shrug> Things just happen... but still, why risk it? There are enough things we have to do that are likely to result in premature death, why add one more risk to the mess?
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Postby Shellysowner » 10 Dec 2005, 21:53

Making tea in the mug is fine - I'm sure you're well aware that we don't all make tea in a pot with a cosy and drink it out of the best china over here - but using a bag twice is just plain wrong!
Shellysowner

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 10 Dec 2005, 22:03

Shellysowner wrote:using a bag twice is just plain wrong!

perhaps it's grim in Canada as well Ralph
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Shellysowner » 10 Dec 2005, 22:05

Herbie_Flowers wrote:

Maybe so - you considering a move to NZ as well AJ? :lol:
Shellysowner

Postby shuvit-tim » 10 Dec 2005, 22:06

caffeine causes the heart rate to increase dramatically. if you took too many pro plus or had too much red bull you WOULD have a heart attack

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby Doive » 10 Dec 2005, 22:49

So many young people now just think 'ah stuff it'. I remeber when I smoked years ago I used to think about what would happen if I developed a heart problem. My attitude then was very much a case of 'won't happen to me, and even if it does I'll just get on with it'. Well, it's not as easy as that, so I've discovered. Thankfully what I have isn't terminal, but it's still extremely unpleasant and makes you think twice about doing certain things.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby jayen4 » 11 Dec 2005, 00:22

Shellysowner wrote:Making tea in the mug is fine - I'm sure you're well aware that we don't all make tea in a pot with a cosy and drink it out of the best china over here - but using a bag twice is just plain wrong!

No Ralph,It's what known as 'being economical' !! :wink:
jayen4
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby jayen4 » 11 Dec 2005, 00:24

Shellysowner wrote:
Herbie_Flowers wrote:

See,now you're just having a go at me !! :shock: :wink:
jayen4
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Doive » 11 Dec 2005, 00:38

Depends how economical you are with the bag, if you enjoy a weak cup of tea then it's probably fine. Personally I like a good strong cup that hasn't been stewed, so a bag would only do the once for me. Tea in a mug is fine, but awkward if you are using leaf tea as you need all sorts of filters etc. easier in the pot, and here you're rarely making tea for one anyway!

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shellysowner » 11 Dec 2005, 01:42

jayen4 wrote:
Shellysowner wrote:
Herbie_Flowers wrote:

See,now you're just having a go at me !! :shock: :wink:

Am I? Very sorry - I don't recall doing that :roll: I do believe all I was actually doing was slighting the north everso.. err... slightly, although I don't mean it in any serious way as I actually rather like the north of england.
Shellysowner

Postby Doive » 11 Dec 2005, 02:00

Look at it from my perspective - everywhere in England is south from here.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby shuvit-tim » 11 Dec 2005, 20:38

i cant believe the levels this convo is being taken to - even by our standards.

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby Doive » 11 Dec 2005, 20:44

How do you mean Tim? Tea brewing is a highly technical and extremely important part of daily existence! I reckon this is a most useful thread....

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Stupid Corner