Slow site on Broadband

If it won`t fit anywhere else, stick it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Slow site on Broadband

Postby Shellysowner » 23 Mar 2005, 22:23

Hello. Does anyone know while, although my new 1mb ADSL is sh*t quick for most sites, this forum is really slow? I'm on MetroNet (don't know what that's a subsiduary of - someone called Parabin limited) if that makes any difference.
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

slow site

Postby xhsowner » 23 Mar 2005, 23:49

Hi shellysowner took 1hr to send to pics to steve hsr 2.6 tonight yes very slow to night
andy :roll:
xhsowner
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Doive » 24 Mar 2005, 01:03

I was wondering how long it would be until someone noticed. I was on for half an hour this afternoon and managed to look at about three posts in that time. Checked other bandwidth hungry sites for comparison but only the forum appeared slow. Seems fine now. Perhaps the hosting people were playing with their servers - maybe they have just installed M$ server 2003 and they all crashed.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shellysowner » 24 Mar 2005, 01:06

Yeah seems better here too. Speaking of M$, today windows wanted me to install a 'malicious software remover tool'. I didn't bother but I bet it picks up loads of programs I want to keep and anything else will have already been picked up by virus checkers/spyware removers or in fact not get through the firewall at all.
Shellysowner

Postby Doive » 24 Mar 2005, 01:21

Shellysowner wrote:'malicious software remover tool'

So windows wanted you to install a program to remove windows?

Windows security - bwahahahhahahahaha. The built in virus checker and firewall are absolutely hopeless. IE uses something called direct x that hoses your IP address all over the internet, meaning any port scanners can see your PC a mile off. If you don't have some sort of firewall installed then bye bye PC. Someone did a test recently by connecting three PCs online using only the on board firewalls. A windows PC, a Mac and a linux box. The windows PC was owned/had been hacked within an hour. The mac lasted about a week and the linux box went on for over a month. So these ar$eholes who claim windows has superior security are a) ar$eholes and b) delusional. I wouldn't even rest a windows CD on top of my PC, except perhaps as a coaster.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shellysowner » 24 Mar 2005, 01:29

Isn't interfacing everyone else's windows PC with mine on the network gonna be a pain if I move over to linux? I bet the filesharing won't work properly from one end or the other. Don't worry when I said the firewall I don't mean windows firewall, I just turn that off, my new mode/router's got quite a good one. You're right about i.e. tho - I seem to suffer a lot less attacks since I moved over to firefox.Seriously considering linux when kde 3.4 and open office 2 are out....
Shellysowner

Postby Doive » 24 Mar 2005, 01:38

Interfacing is actually much easier using a samba server, this cleverly convinces a windows box that it is talking to another windows box as M$ designed windows not to talk to any other kind of server. A samba client allows full filesharing between systems as well. Kde 3.4 will be very shiny and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Open Office2.0 beta is very good as well, with just a few little feature problems I don't like but these will be sorted for the full release. Look for Suse 9.4 to hit the shelves in nine months to a years time, although this may well have the next generation kde 4.0 built in. Excellent. Or you could wait and get longhorn....*snigger*

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Neilyman » 24 Mar 2005, 09:36

Yeah, the forum was slow yesterday afternoon.
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Return to Anything else