simple power tip for 1.6 chevettes

If it won`t fit anywhere else, stick it here!

Moderator: Moderators

simple power tip for 1.6 chevettes

Postby Crum B » 15 Dec 2004, 23:41

On chevettes from 1976 to 1982 the carburator (stock 2 barrel) had a manual secondary instead of a vacuum secondary which means if you push the go pedal 3/4 of the way down the secondary barrel opens but what we did with the racecar was we put a tie strap around the throttle peice where it touches onto the secondary peice then when you push the throttle 1/2 way down it opens both up and you get alot more snap and tork when you give it full out.
its hard to explain but if you do ityou get alot more go for about 10 cents!
Tell me how it works if you try itor if you need help just tell me and maybe i can explain it better? 8)
Lifes a Garden Dig It
Crum B
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Crum B » 18 Dec 2004, 01:45

Ah i know what the problem is most of you problably have no idea what i am talking about because alot of you have the U.K. chevettes but anybody who owns an american chevette and likes it original this really works awsome.you basically have full H.P at about 3/4 throttle.works best with holes in air cleaner holder and makes a really cool sound.
Lifes a Garden Dig It
Crum B
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

HEY CRUM B

Postby shawnexley » 26 Dec 2004, 00:52

ARE YOU ALLOWED MORE THAN ONE CARB BECUES I FOUND AN OLD HOW TO BUILD A HOT ROD BOOK THAT SHOWS HOW TO PUT MOTOR CYCLE CARBS ON SIX AND FOUR CYCLINDERS
whats under youre hood
shawnexley
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Carby

Postby Guest » 10 May 2005, 03:52

My Aussie Gemini only has a sh1t single barrel. and the auto choke is stuffed. I think it may be because the temperatyre gauge doesn't work but this mechanic told that that had nothing to do with it? :?

Postby Doive » 10 May 2005, 16:02

The auto choke often works on a mechanical temperature sensor of some sort, like a bimetallic strip that closes a circuit and switches on the auto choke. On older Triumphs they had wax mounted needles that moved as the wax softened, so richening the mixture up. Your temperature gauge likely has nothing to do with the choke.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Guest » 11 Aug 2005, 01:46

I want to throttle my auto choke... it just about got me killed today, flooded 5 feet into crossing a road where I should have had plenty of time...Grrrgghhh...

Postby Chevette Girl » 11 Aug 2005, 01:49

Ahem. Silly login... so much for logging in automatically!
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Postby Chevette Girl » 10 Sep 2005, 06:51

Hey, CrumB, does this little trick of yours affect your gas mileage? Or does it just open up the second barrel sooner during acceleration?
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Return to Anything else