rear end noise

If it won`t fit anywhere else, stick it here!

Moderator: Moderators

rear end noise

Postby bbstewbs » 22 May 2007, 16:02

Have noise that comes from the rear end, it is worse if for instance in a parking lot and go over a pothole then it sounds like something is dragging. That noise will go away when you start to drive.(Bear with me being a female) When doing normal driving you might be able to sometimes a noise not a clunking but contstant hum type.
bbstewbs
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby CancerWagon » 23 May 2007, 23:58

If it's from near the wheels, check to see if the rear brakes are worn down to metal. That is usually accompanied with a strange feeling in the brake pedal.

Also a possibility of a bad bearing or universal joint.
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualit├Ąt."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Harry Flatters » 24 May 2007, 00:24

Normally you'd expect a constant hum to be a bearing. If it's a wheel bearing it might hum more as you load the side with the dodgy bearing up - i.e. making a right turn if the left hand bearing is bad.
Harry Flatters
Photographer of the year 2006
Photographer of the year 2006

Postby Gordo » 24 May 2007, 09:20

Initially, I would recommend a thorough check of the exhaust and suspension rubbers and bushes.
Then check the oil level.
As has been mentioned, it may be a diff' or wheel bearing on the way out but another possibility may be tyre noise - this will be more apparent on different surfaces.
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby bbstewbs » 24 May 2007, 12:42

Thanks guys for your help, I have a friend that is going to check it out for me and I will let you all know.
bbstewbs
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Chevette Girl » 30 May 2007, 03:56

Make sure there's fluid in the rear differential too... I've had a noise for about 9 months that my mechanic hasn't been able to track down, I'm thinking now that it might be saggy springs causing the suspension to be at an odd angle and causing something to rub, but originally I thought it was front-end... it wore my winter tyres bald on the inside but not the outside...
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Postby Gordo » 30 May 2007, 07:11

Chevette Girl wrote:Make sure there's fluid in the rear differential too... I've had a noise for about 9 months that my mechanic hasn't been able to track down, I'm thinking now that it might be saggy springs causing the suspension to be at an odd angle and causing something to rub, but originally I thought it was front-end... it wore my winter tyres bald on the inside but not the outside...

Check the diff' isn't bent - unless you're driving on highly cambered roads, the tyres should wear evenly - may also be dead wheel bearings.
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Chevette Girl » 07 Aug 2007, 02:00

Got the shocks changed, no more bald insides of tyres. I dunno, it made sense at the time...
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Return to Anything else