Mad Science for rust removal (THAT WORKS!) :D

If it won`t fit anywhere else, stick it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Mad Science for rust removal (THAT WORKS!) :D

Postby CancerWagon » 24 Dec 2006, 01:17

Proof is in the puddins'. And it's Delicious!

I've read about using a bath of sodium carbonate & water and running a current through the part to be cleaned and an iron or stainless second electrode also immersed in the solution. Decided to try it out.

Started out using a washpan & a roll of stainless twine and a rusty old spring. A battery charger was used as a power source. Results were promising.

Fried a pile of 386 computer power boxes trying to get more current through the solution... and added a volt meter and ammeter at that point.

Moved up to a tupperware bucket, a bunch of steel screen as a lining, and suspended a rusty chevette lower arm in the washing soda & water solution. The (-) going to the arm, and (+) going to the steel screen. the MK2 power supply is an old 800w microwave transformer, with the secondaries cut out, and two new 8 foot, 12 guage, secondaries. Each secondary winding has a 25A fuse, and a 30A bridge rectifier, the DC output connected in parellel after the fuses.

IF YOU WANT TO MAKE YOUR OWN TRANSFORMER: you wil have to experiment with the secondary wire length (# of wraps) to get the correct votlage! If multiple secondaries are used (like I did) you will have to match them within 0.1 volts to avoid problems!!!!!

This setup pushed 25A of current @ 10VDC through the solution. Four hours later, I removed the lower arm from the bucket and GENTLY scrubbed it running water with a wire brush untill I had a nice clean shiney surface!

Occasionally throwing a match into the bubbles of hydrogen on the surface (that form around the part being cleaned) makes a nice crisp bang if you want to scare your mother. :lol:

Image[/b]
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Shellysowner » 24 Dec 2006, 01:26

What can I say Chris, brilliant, A+, I may try it myself next time I have something to de-rust and if I do will report back with further helpful info :D

Might get myself some suitable 240V saftey-wear first though :shock:
Last edited by Shellysowner on 24 Dec 2006, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
<s>1980 Chevette L Estate</s>
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby CancerWagon » 24 Dec 2006, 01:44

Small stuff draws little current, and lower voltages will drop the amperage as well. Larger bits (greater surface area) draw plenty more. Hense the Dr. Frakenstein setup I have going. Yet to build a tank big enough to immerse the front crossmember.

I can give more details on setting up a transformer if anyone needs. And for the love of HSRs! UNPLUG the thing whenever your hands are near it, don't be daft like me! :lol:

The solution is quite conductive so be careful! (less dangerous at 12v, but still painful) :wink:

Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 24 Dec 2006, 02:39

i find shotblasting far less dangerous :wink: :)
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Neilyman » 24 Dec 2006, 09:58

WANTED!

Large tank, big enough to put Chevette Saloon into.
Also wanted....Ex National Grid Transformer.

Please contact Doive

:twisted: Merry Christmas Doive Mate! :lol:
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Postby Doive » 24 Dec 2006, 15:36

Cheers Neil! The ex-grid transformer I can do, not sure about the tank tho. I think the car would dissolve completely.

I admire your bravery Chris, I wouldn't have been playing with 800W step down transformers, the voltage may be low but the current has a heck of a belt to it. Hmmm. We currently have a couple of 33kV/690V 2.2MVA transformers sitting on site awaiting installation, I could hook up a couple of auxilliary feeds from the LV side once installed, that's sure to lift the rust off the metal. Oh yes, 2kA at 690V would be hard to beat for corrosion removal.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby CancerWagon » 24 Dec 2006, 23:28

You're grid transformer, Doive, with with about 480v on the primary side, should produce the right range of voltage you would need. Will also need a heck of a rectifier, and an in ground pool! :lol:

One of my mates dubbed me "cautiously irresponsible" because I do seemingly dangerous stuff all the time, however take the neccessary precautions not be stupid about it.

I'm an electrician in training, and have been playing with voltages, high and low since age 10. Getting the odd :shock: through the system is normal for me. :)

The process actually adds metal to the part being cleaned, taking away from the (+) electrode. Galvanised containers and (+) electrodes are also bad, you don't want ZINC in there! Everything I've read about this uses between 5-15 VDC, so higher voltages may produce dangrous results. EG rapid demolecularisation of the water, producing dangerous amouts of Hydrogen/oxygen gases. (explosion hazard!)
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Doive » 25 Dec 2006, 02:40

CancerWagon wrote:producing dangerous amouts of Hydrogen/oxygen gases. (explosion hazard!)

A useful by-product for my other line of work then...
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Tortron » 25 Dec 2006, 04:21

mix in some detergent to the liquid to capture the gasses. then ad a burning splint to "dispose" of them :P
This text comfirms the fact that directly above this is a line
"as you would expect on a car of this age..."
The chevette vin decoder
Tortron
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby shuvit-tim » 29 Dec 2006, 13:06

jesus christ!

You're barmy! that said, like all true lunatics you're also a genius!

With my track record, I'll keep away from this though *DZZZISSST BANG!*
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby CancerWagon » 29 Dec 2006, 15:03

"There is a fine line between genious and insanity, and I'd like to think that I walk that line every minute of my life."

Fuses.... lots of them, and in the proper ratings! Thoes and some common sense it's actually quite safe. Doesn't look it though :lol: just wait untill I buy that kiddie wading pool!
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Anything else