Parking charges for 'Gus Guzzlers'

If it won`t fit anywhere else, stick it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Parking charges for 'Gus Guzzlers'

Postby Doive » 25 Oct 2006, 10:00

Another great idea here.

Whilst I agree in principle with the idea of reducing our emissions, I see this as a cynical money making exercise. I mean, the Renault Espace in the highest group? Well, that clearly won't affect large families then. What are they supposed to do?

Also this idea that selling your gas guzzler and buying a Prius is better for the environment - well, it needs building. And building the bloody thing produces more emissions than the car will expel in it's lifetime. I think they should be giving tax breaks to those driving older cars, as in effect we are helping reduce emissions by not scrapping the old cars and forcing the production of even more new cars.

It may be Richmond today, one of the richest areas of the country, but you can be almost certain it will happen in most local authority areas soon.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 25 Oct 2006, 19:57

ah yes the idiots answer to climate change, a naturally occuring phenomenon, is to tax people even more.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby CancerWagon » 25 Oct 2006, 22:31

It also makes sense in the way that smaller vehicles (usually with smaller engines) use less of the roadway to park.

I could see idiots like myself putting a 1256 into something like... a caprice wagon/estate. Could park a chevette on the roof of one of them :twisted:

Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Doive » 25 Oct 2006, 22:33

One of the vehicles that qualifies for the highest level of tax is... the Ford Fiesta 1.6. What a planet destroyer that is.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby CancerWagon » 26 Oct 2006, 05:38

A fiesta!? :shock:

From what I undersood from the article, only 3000cc or other larger engines would be classed in the highest category :?
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Doive » 26 Oct 2006, 08:52

Nope, the wonderfully clever powers that be have decreed that all sorts of normal family vehicles qualify for the highest level of robbery, sorry tax. Apparently in the very top bracket will be the Renault Espace 2.0, a car quite popular with large families. I reckon they should all buy a Citroen C1 and squeeze their six children into that. Those in authority have simply no idea. I mean, apprently the TVR Griffith is also in the highest band - what were they thinking?! :lol:

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby CancerWagon » 28 Oct 2006, 03:23

By the looks of it, 'thinking' had very little to do with it.... :?

They must believe everyone out there looks like some sort of Charlie. It's just mean.

I mean, apprently the TVR Griffith is also in the highest band - what were they thinking?!
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Chevette Girl » 29 Oct 2006, 07:03

Doive wrote:One of the vehicles that qualifies for the highest level of tax is... the Ford Fiesta 1.6. What a planet destroyer that is.

Ok, WTF?!? Is that not a small car? Or is the Festiva so terrible on gas it's worse than a Sport Utility?
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Postby CancerWagon » 29 Oct 2006, 07:42

I went looking this one up, the NA festiva is like a firefly... where as a fiesta is more like a ford focus.

I may have gotten thoes names backwards. :roll:
Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Chevette Girl » 29 Oct 2006, 16:41

Naw, I read it wrong, my bad. But still, a Focus isn't a big car either! I'd expect it would get better mileage than a Chevette at least!
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Postby Doive » 30 Oct 2006, 01:12

I once had a Focus 1.6 as a hire car, reasonably average to drive (sorry Nick), but gave an mpg of about 35 with combined driving. Now, my Chevette over similar territory gave a startling 45mpg, or an almost 30% increase in miles per every gallon of fuel. Plus it was about eleventy billion times more fun to drive.

In the UK the Fiesta is the model below the Focus, which I think is the smallest of the Ford range they sell in the US and Canada. We get an even smaller car than the Fiesta called the Ka, which is vile. I'd sooner get contagious herpes than drive a Ka. Anyway, the Fiesta is designed to be an eco-friendly city car supermini type thing, but once they put the 1.6 engine in it, the evironmental lot seem to reckon it drives around the countryside, eating trees and baby rabbits. This is clearly utter bullocks.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby CancerWagon » 30 Oct 2006, 02:52

Festiva 6x6.... eats rabbits with sharp pointy teeth, and carrys chainsaws behind the seats :lol:

Chris W.
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 31 Oct 2006, 11:57

Doive wrote:I once had a Focus 1.6 as a hire car, reasonably average to drive (sorry Nick), but gave an mpg of about 35 with combined driving.

you will find the ones fitted with the sports suspension, like mine is, handle really well Doive. i only average 50mpg as it's due for a service and i drive it quite hard but 55mpg is quite easily attainable on a journey.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Doive » 31 Oct 2006, 13:09

But that's cos yours is a weasel mate. The petrol ones aren't as great as everyone makes out.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 01 Nov 2006, 00:35

Doive wrote:But that's cos yours is a weasel mate.

you're right there Doive, and as much as i loathe heavy oil, it just makes sense these days.
Doive wrote:The petrol ones aren't as great as everyone makes out.

the RS ones are supposed to be really good though
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Return to Anything else