Classic car storage

If it won`t fit anywhere else, stick it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Classic car storage

Postby Doive » 07 Oct 2006, 12:30

Well, I've just been out to see a potential premises for my latest venture. I'm hoping to buy/rent a reasonably large shed, partition it up and then sub-let to a group of like minded enthusiasts to store and restore their cars in. Obviously it would have power and light, possibly a four post lift, nice tidy concrete floor and a sort of collective relaxing area with many cups of tea. I think it would be great. Someone in Darlington has already come up with this format, but nobody around my area seems to have done it.

So, the question is, how many of you as classic car enthusiasts would be interested in having this sort of resource available to you? I'm also trying to peg some sort of figure on monthly rental etc for the space, what would be a reasonable sum of money, bearing in mind this would include electricity useage and insurance for car and any tools kept on the premises?
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby UpNorth » 08 Oct 2006, 06:26

Who/what is the company in Darlo called that have this facility?
Anyone have a 6R4 for sale? Unfortunately I've only got £1K spare but I could throw in a few eggs to sweeten the deal!
UpNorth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Doive » 08 Oct 2006, 14:11

I can't remember to be honest, it was on another forum. I'll have a look for you. Where are you based?

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby UpNorth » 08 Oct 2006, 16:25

Northallerton which is about 13 miles away. However I go there regularly for a few libations!
Anyone have a 6R4 for sale? Unfortunately I've only got £1K spare but I could throw in a few eggs to sweeten the deal!
UpNorth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby hs2300 » 08 Oct 2006, 23:40

A firm near me charge £2 day for storage but this is +vat and insurance thats around £1000 a year Its paked aswell
HS's cooler than penguin piss
hs2300
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby shuvit-tim » 09 Oct 2006, 12:52

i'm looking for something warrington/wigan way.

nice idea doive, could probably make yourself a bit of money. if you want to find a decent place, get yourself to a local banger meet and ask about
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby Neilyman » 09 Oct 2006, 14:11

shuvit-tim wrote:nice idea doive, get yourself to a local banger meet and ask about

He could enter his Chevette while he`s there! :shock: :lol:
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Postby Doive » 09 Oct 2006, 14:44

Humph. At least I drive mine :lol:

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Chevette Girl » 11 Oct 2006, 04:39

That sounds really awesome and I'd love something like that in my area, but someone's gotta be the voice of caution here, make sure you get a lawyer's advice... Canada's not as bad as the US for litigations, and I don't know how bad it is for you guys over there... it's all fine and dandy for the wonderful Cheveteers (or I suppose they could work on OTHER kinds of cars too 8) ) to work on their cars and all, but their families might not understand if something happened resulting in injury... it's not so much the clients you need to worry about but their families... Especially if you have a lift... Liability insurance for the business...
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Postby CancerWagon » 13 Oct 2006, 01:59

1: Injury/liability waivers, lots and lots of them!
2: SIGNED Leases, monthly would probably be ideal.
3: Liability insurance, in case you get sued, and loose.
4: property nsurance (fire etc) that will cover the building, and the contents of. (renters tools, cars, etc) or have clear waivers that imdemnify you from liability of such responsibility signed by the renters)

5: and this is important, a CREDIBLE lawyer (see bottom feeder) who is on your side to go over it all, to ensure you do have yer bottom coverd with fireprrof kevlar, and several layers of it. :D

I love the idea, but I'd hate to see someone get totally screwed over for trying to do something the help out a community of people. In Canada, I thinl with enough of the above stated things one is safe, POSIBLY in the USA. But I wouldn't bet on it. For the UK and other areas of the globe... I really don't know.

Watching US court shows like "judge judy" and the like can give you ideas about how incredibly stupid people can be.
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Doive » 13 Oct 2006, 08:48

The problem is the compensation culture.

Had an accident that wasn't your fault?? Help us screw some poor bastard to the wall and get you a few quid into the bargain. Blitheringly stupid, I mean so stupid that you shouldn't be allowed to breed? Managed to ram a screwdriver up your nose? Let us help you to sue someone!

Parasites.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby CancerWagon » 13 Oct 2006, 09:41

There is a version of the darwin awards for stupid arsed lawsuits that won. Damned if I can remember the name of the website.... ah well google knows.

Frightening none the less. :(

Waivers! Leases! Recipts! Documents! Signed in blood! The only way to be safe.
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Anything else