What would you have done.

If it won`t fit anywhere else, stick it here!

Moderator: Moderators

What would you have done.

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 29 Sep 2006, 18:27

OK, the scene is like this:-

You go into a bank and want to draw out, lets say £250, the cashier taps in the details askes you to sign the lil slip for the amount you asked for and then counts out the money twice and verbaly confirms the amout to herself twice.

She then hands over the money to and you go to put it away, but check it, just incase!

So, you count it out, but you must have miss counted as its wrong so count again, its still wrong but to the tune of £300 EXTRA on top of the £250 you asked for.!!!!

I know what I did, would have done or could have done. Was I right? Lets see what you lot would have done??
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby Neilyman » 29 Sep 2006, 18:29

Keep it & run! :)
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Postby rallyevo3 » 29 Sep 2006, 18:32

Where's that bank :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
rallyevo3
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby chevette adam » 29 Sep 2006, 18:39

Would have bought chevette bits with the money before the mistake was noticed 8). If you asked if the cashier if she could count and the reply was yes, then technically she wasn't doing her job right and the dosh is yours. Has never happened to myself, I honestly don't know how I'd react at the time if it did. But we're gonna smell fish if you suddenly have more chevette parts in your garage! :lol: :lol:
theres only one thing better than a chevette - and thats THREE chevette's
chevette adam
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Doive » 29 Sep 2006, 19:17

To be honest I'd give it back. It isn't really your money, mistake or not.

Not sure how she miscounted by 300 quid though!
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby CancerWagon » 30 Sep 2006, 00:16

I'd be hard pressed to decide myself. But in a simmilar situation, when I drove to Toronto from Nova Scotia a month or so ago, we stayed two nights at a Hotel in toronto along the "407"

My friend who paid using his credit card had not recieved the bill on his card since then. We found the recipt under the seats of my interceptor today, to find that they got his name totally wrong on the bill. He works as at a hotel... and if that happened while he was working.... the charges would vaporise, and the manager would shake his finger at the staff to not let it happen again.

IT may also have to do with the fact that someone "checked us out" of our room and we hadn't left on the first night. Clerical error, but that may have caused this whole issue in the first place too.

We're not going to call them up and ask them to bill us.... but somehow it would be the right thing to do. :? AAAAAhhhh moral dilemmas and large companies that can afford to loose a bit from time to time.

My bank actually has a machine that the teller swips a card in after confirming the amount to withdrawl, which then dispenses the cash to the teller, and then the teller then walks over and hands it to you, counting it out as they do so, and then confirms the amount it at the wicket workstation. ALMOST foolproof, but incredibly secure too. :wink:
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Tortron » 01 Oct 2006, 00:58

odd that she would miss it twice, for something that much as well
This text comfirms the fact that directly above this is a line
"as you would expect on a car of this age..."
The chevette vin decoder
Tortron
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 01 Oct 2006, 10:13

Yeah I know, I was wondering if it was some sort of test / survey they were carrying out. The fact that she counted it out twice with verbal confirmation was strange. :?

I made it worse by then counting it out on the counter next to a closed station where I am sure CCTV cameras would have seen me doing it. The station then opened just as I finished counting. :roll:

Being somewhat paranoid about these sort of things I handed it back incase I was pulled for it on my way out. If I had just stuffed it in the envelope and walkedout I would probably have kept it and could have pleaded ignorance :evil:

Driving home later I was torn between whether I had done the right thing, Them Big Bank lots of money, Me small company no money and it was £300 ponuds free :)
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby Chevette Girl » 11 Oct 2006, 04:46

Well, I think you did the right thing, insofar as it's the thing that lets you sleep at night without worrying if it's going to bite you on the behind later... :) And since she managed to count it out wrong twice, one does wonder what the heck was going on (or did she count one denomination as another?)...

In the case of Cancerwagon's hotel issue, I think I'd just let sleeping bills lie, I'm pretty sure I've got a parking ticket that's evaporated (well, Little Beast's back seat did eat it or else I would have paid it, I deserved that one) and it's been a couple years and nobody's come after me... they're supposed to bill you when you renew your plates, but I've done that twice since...
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 11 Oct 2006, 09:38

you'd have known what i would have done Mark :twisted:
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 11 Oct 2006, 10:58

Yeah, not what I did and looking back wished I did not :?
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby CR500Dom » 29 Oct 2006, 18:10

i`d of handed it back :wink:

Its Karma....... what goes around comes around and there will be something better around the corner

Also do you not think that you pay for those kind of Losses and mistakes all the time :roll:

They dont wear it..... it`ll be an On-cost spread around everyone to pay.

I once found £10 in the aisle by the check out, asked the people in front if it was theirs, they said no, Girl at check out said "looks like its your lucky day" :roll:

I went to customer services (who couldnt quite beleive it) and handed it in.

My reasoning was, If anyone came back looking for ten pounds that they had lost then they must really need it.......

Having been in that situation before, I didnt want anyone else going through it.

If the person didnt need it and claim it, then I would get it in 1 months time anyway :wink:

If more people do the right thing, and just think of others before acting, then the world becomes a better place for everyone

Its the little things that make a difference :wink: :D
CR500Dom
Upsetter of "The Purists"
Upsetter of "The Purists"

Return to Anything else