newer car

If it won`t fit anywhere else, stick it here!

Moderator: Moderators

newer car

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 09 Aug 2006, 22:51

i've been cruising about in a Ford Focus Zetec Climate TDCi this week with a view to buying it as i've got a new job up Merseyside and i need something more economical than the Omega (well what isn't). unfortunately i will be taking this particular car back as after some extensive road testing, the Welsh coast and back amongst other varying trips, as it's fallen quite short in important areas compared to the Omega.
FOR
1 - great handling chassis
2 - great engine with more torque than the Omega but less hp from the 1.6
3 - fantastic economy, i have managed 55mpg so far compared to the 25mpg in the Omega
4 - the driving position takes a little getting used to as your high up but it does make quite a difference
5 - adjustable steering weight as it's an electro-hydraulic pump
AGAINST
1 - 205/55/16 tyres meant great grip but the wife doesn't appreciate the previously unfelt bumps
2 - manual rear windows meant the kids could open them and only the drivers window is "one touch" and that's only when it went down as well
3 - a lack of hp really reared its head when stuck behind slower moving traffic
4 - no cruise control
5 - i've got "dual zone" heating on the Omega so i can have cold air in my face which i like when i'm driving and the wife can have hot air as she's a bit nesh. i also have an air vent in the back for the kids which the Focus doesn't have.
6 - the alarm is feeble and wouldn't disturb a dog let alone the owner if it went off

i was looking to replace the Omega with the Focus but it just isn't going to happen and i can't really afford to keep both. the trade in value of the Omega is a joke, they offered a tenner, as they don't want older cars that they can't get rid of. anyone got any experience of running a car on LPG as this might be a viable alternative.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby opel_charlie » 10 Aug 2006, 00:35

From my experience of driving my mums one. TDCI GHIA

For:

great handling brilliant i'd say

good ride position compared to older shape (very high up mpv high)

Powerful for a 1.6, is it 16v?

steering wheel position better than previous model

Being on chunky 16inch 60profile tyres and still handle, great achievement

Against:

ugly as sin

The alarm is ultimatly crap beep beep, its as loud as me typing this out on the keyboard. Someone golf clubbed the back window and even though the windows in the house were open we couldnt hear it.

stupid arm rest gets in the way when changing gear even though its not down.

To much electrical goods, can never seem to turn off the rear wiper properly. The green alumination on the speedo stays on when you switch ignition off. 5000w interior lights come on everywhere dazzling you.

The dash is nasty sponge, i could see that horrible in a few years

The aircon messed up leaving 2inches of water under the carpets now it stinks even though it was meant to have been cleaned.

i'm not a focus fan i hate them, i'd go for audi/golf/skoda for the better engine but the fords have more gadgets for the money, buy a ghia.
opel_charlie
He`s a right Charlie!
He`s a right Charlie!

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 10 Aug 2006, 01:11

i'm off to work at Fords Halewood site so turning up in anything other than a Ford is asking for trouble and as i won't be working for Ford directly i don't qualify for their car scheme. yea it's the 16v diesel engine and it's on 55 profile tyres. i think it's a great looking car and makes the older model look really dated. i never had a problem with the arm rest getting in the way and i know what you mean about the rear wiper. it's only got one interior light which comes on when you switch the engine off which is a good idea.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Doive » 10 Aug 2006, 09:09

I had a 1.4 hire car for a month, base model but I really liked it. None too powerful but a real hoot on the twisty roads, handled like a dream - not as good as a Chevette mind. I only had a few problems with it. The one I had was incredibly thirsty, but then that was a petrol. No cruise control. Hard seats set much too high, meaning you sat on the car rather than in it. Never noticed the 5000W interior lights though...

It's a short against list for me, I normally hate F**ds with a passion but that one was really rather good. Direct, meaty steering, fantastic short gearchange, nicely weighted controls, handled well and took a lot to lose grip and understeer (officer). As for looks, I often wondered how the designers would improve on the Mk1 Focus, but oh boy they managed it. Sharp looking car, much better than the current Astra in my opinion.

It ounds like you really are after a more economical upgrade for your Omega - have you considered one of the facelifted 2.2 Di cars? Much better than the old 2.5 tds, although possibly still a little underpowered. Have a look at a Passat 130 or 150 PD, lovely fast cars and likely to have most of the things you are after.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shellysowner » 10 Aug 2006, 09:50

Doive wrote:I often wondered how the designers would improve on the Mk1 Focus, but oh boy they managed it. Sharp looking car, much better than the current Astra in my opinion.

Have you lost your mind Dave? There is nothing in the world more dull in appearance than the Ford Focus and from my experience of them they aren't that much better on the inside. I think I would probably lose the will to live if I had to own one! Yuk yuk yuk!
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Doive » 10 Aug 2006, 10:08

Not sayting I would particularly like to own one, they aren't better looking than, say, a Rover SD1. 8) 8) 8)

However, in the current raft of faceless soulless bland insipid and uninspiring euroboxes, the Focus isn't really that bad.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shellysowner » 10 Aug 2006, 10:12

Doive wrote:However, in the current raft of faceless soulless bland insipid and uninspiring euroboxes, the Focus isn't really that bad.

The Focus is the faceless soulless bland insipid and uninspiring eurobox!!!!
Shellysowner

Postby Doive » 10 Aug 2006, 10:47

Hmmm. It's a fair point. The new Focus is just a tool to be used by company reps as a hack, just like most of it's rivals. Most new cars fall into the bland and soulless category, apart perhaps from Alfas which are interesting mostly because bits fall off and they break.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby opel_charlie » 10 Aug 2006, 11:02

For me when i change gear my elbow knocks the armrest, interoir lights in the ghia version are above and in the footwells i find them bloody bright. If you could turn off the footwell lights i wouldnt mind but you cant.

We had a ghia mk1 focus before and the seat is even higher than newer model. Bland and boring like many new cars no lines or shapes that make you go thats different/nice.

i used to have a mk2 golf gti 16v on bilsteins and eibach springs this focus would eat it on handling. Have you tried the 2.0 tdci focus or the mondeo twin turbo tdci?
opel_charlie
He`s a right Charlie!
He`s a right Charlie!

Postby Shoveitpusher » 10 Aug 2006, 11:26

the rules used to be to gain entry to the factory it had to be a ford, to use the car parks it could be anything. certainly the car park here is not heavily populated with Henry's best. a mate of mine used to put in the production lines and he always had carlton estates.

my st170 returns 35-38mpg on my daily commute, mainly duel carriageway, with a lot of stop start in it. it has the added bonus of being fun to drive

a mates dad has had lpg for a while and it is very good, one conversion on a scorpio and a factory fitted volvo. i can't remember the pay back details but i think it was a year or so on normal driving.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby UpNorth » 10 Aug 2006, 11:33

You're lucky with 35-38mpg. I've got an RS & I crack open the Champagne if I see 27mpg. Mind, it cruises nicely at 120........
Anyone have a 6R4 for sale? Unfortunately I've only got £1K spare but I could throw in a few eggs to sweeten the deal!
UpNorth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 10 Aug 2006, 22:04

opel_charlie wrote:Have you tried the 2.0 tdci focus or the mondeo twin turbo tdci?

are you nuts? i'm after economy not performance like my Omega Image
Shellysowner wrote:The Focus is the faceless soulless bland insipid and uninspiring eurobox!!!!

have to disagree with you there Ralph as i think it looks great and has the performance to match it.
shoveitpusher wrote:a mates dad has had lpg for a while and it is very good

no problems then? i have heard rumours of engine failure but i think that's down to not running on petrol after the lpg system is installed
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby opel_charlie » 10 Aug 2006, 22:25

Ah but you did say you found it a struggle to when you punted it, i find quite quick havent noticed a lack yet, you could chip it ;)

There isnt much else that'll touch it for price unless you go second hand, something that rolled off the line a few months ago will have dropped in price maybe 1yrold could be had cheap. What about skoda octavias? nice cars vw engine and build. Or as said buy another vauxhall they drop in price so much you could have a bargain.
opel_charlie
He`s a right Charlie!
He`s a right Charlie!

Postby Shoveitpusher » 11 Aug 2006, 08:15

UpNorth wrote:You're lucky with 35-38mpg. I've got an RS & I crack open the Champagne if I see 27mpg. Mind, it cruises nicely at 120........

that'll be the turbo and extra 50?bhp, mind the st does get very thirsty on the back lanes when playing, real jeckle and hyde car.

the scorpio is still going strong, i have heard of blowing inlet tracts apart when you run out of gas and the petrol in the tank going off. the ford has run on both petrol and gas as when it was converted gas pumps were very rare.
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 11 Aug 2006, 23:10

panic over, the Focus is being returned and not replaced. there will be 3 of us travelling to Liverpool from the Birmingham area and i've just had a word with the landlady of a pub that we can all meet up at and leave our cars in the car park. this means i will only have to use my car for 2 weeks in every 6 weeks, apart from commuting to the pub, which means i get to keep the gas guzzler while still enjoying my pay rise Image
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Return to Anything else