Microsoft scraps Windows...

If it won`t fit anywhere else, stick it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Microsoft scraps Windows...

Postby Doive » 11 Jul 2006, 12:32

...sadly it's only 98.

They are so optimistic. To quote a Micro$oft lackey, 'Nevertheless, if you want to be safe with 98: don't go online'. I think that's pretty much standard for all Windows installations. 'Or upgrade to something that is supported with security patches.' Alternatively, get something that's inherently safe, with no need for patches - Linux. How surprising they are urging everyone to upgrade to XP. I'd sooner rub Sodium Nitrite in my eyes.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby shuvit-tim » 11 Jul 2006, 12:44

from a gaming point of view - bad news...........

the new microsoft operating system due to be brougt out is the ONLY operating systems new versions of direct X will run on.......

how many games will you only be able to play on microsoft run machines?
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby Doive » 11 Jul 2006, 13:35

Quite a few. Because the Linux market is limited, developers tend to write for Windows only. There are a few good ones who also write for linux, and these tend to sell well. M$ previewed their new OS, then called Longhorn, last year, and according to many sources it was a system hungry, cumbersome and bug-filled system. For example, minimum system requirements were dual 2GB processors, and 2GB of RAM. How much???

Of course they have had to pare the code down to create the wonderful (sic) Vista, which promises to offer all the features next year that Suse 10.1 has this year, and they will only charge 200 quid for it. Bargain. I just bought Suse 10.1 for £3, a genuine copy brand new, fully legal, and I can copy the discs and send it on to whoever I like with the blessing of it's creators. It has more packages included that I will ever know what to do with, webpage building, Open Office 2.0, Firefox 1.5, umpteen music players and CD burners, graphics packages, 3D modellers, spice circuit analysis tools, astronomy packages(!) etc etc etc. With Windows you get... er.... Windows. For 200 quid. Like I say, bargain.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Return to Anything else