Vauxhall Meriva

If it won`t fit anywhere else, stick it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Vauxhall Meriva

Postby Doive » 26 May 2006, 15:36

I needed to get to a meeting in Birmingham yesterday (or thankfully just outside it), so I had to get a hire car. Images floated across my mind of a nice Vectra or somesuch to waft down in, but being under 25 means i can only hire group A or B cars, and my heart sank when I was presented with a Meriva. But this thing appears to have got stuck in the options room at the factory, all round electrics, CD player with controls in the rear, two electric sunroofs, tinted glass, cruise control, alloys, pearlescent purple paint (nicer than it sounds), air con etc etc.

I set off with little enthusiasm for my new steed. Not the most powerful car in the world, but it fairly tanked down the motorways and kept to 80 with ease. It did have comical amounts of body roll in the corners on B roads and understeered terribly, but was impressive overall apart from hills, which needed quite a bit of gearchanging. Bit slow for what I assume to be a 1.4, but still impressed overall. A big admission for me.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Doive » 17 Nov 2006, 10:20

Right, the time has come to replace my parent's car. Both have mobility problems, my dad just had a knee replacement and my mother has chronic arthritis so getting in and out of their Astra has become a bit of a battle. I want to replace it for them for christmas, so am currently in the market for a small, tall car with good access, reliability and not a Daewoo Matiz. I've put the Meriva first on my list (hence being nailed to this thread), but wanted to hear if anyone else had any other alternatives I hadn't thought of. Mainly because I've never thought of these cars before. All suggestions are welcome.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shellysowner » 17 Nov 2006, 10:29

What about a shlt Berlingo thingy. Wouldn't have one myself but your folks might like it.
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
<s>1980 Chevette L Estate</s>
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Return to Anything else