£1m speed camera

If it won`t fit anywhere else, stick it here!

Moderator: Moderators

£1m speed camera

Postby Doive » 19 Apr 2006, 10:04

Link be here

So is it road safety? Or a cash generator? Speed cameras clearly don't work, so what else can we do to slow people down? Speed cameras make you keep your eyes on the speedo and not the road, surely not the best thing for road safety?!
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 19 Apr 2006, 16:11

you been had by that one then Doive :?: :lol:
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Doive » 19 Apr 2006, 16:18

No I didn't get caught by that one, I was done by a manned scamera. However I think better driving standards are more important than keeping the speeds down by a few mph - a bad driver doing 60 is still a bad driver. Where have all the traffic cops gone? What's so wrong with pulling over someone who is driving poorly, or exceeding the limit by perhaps a few mph? Give them a talking to, and send them on their way.

Also a speed camera can't differentiate between 4am and 4pm - it catches everyone regardless. People may say you should stick to the limits no matter what the speed or conditions, but these people must live in a different reality from me, I just don't see that at all. Why not, on a completely empty motorway at four in the morning, let the needle drift round to 90 or so?

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shellysowner » 19 Apr 2006, 16:25

Have you heard about that new 'speed camera volunteers scheme' - whereby members of the general public volunteer to be 'speed wardens' and are given a speed gun and some forms. Then off they go and hide behind a hedge with it to catch people speeding (the volunteer that they showed on the news had a Green 1978 MGB). I mean c'mon - get a life - interfering old busybodies.... and don't forget that by 2008 the entire of Britain's motorway network will be covered with 'numberplate recognition cameras' which are an 'anti-terrorism measure' apparently. They'll log your 'plate and store it on a database for... I can't remember whether it was 3 months or 3 years. Either way - Big Brother will be watching you! Did I mention that they'll be able to do average speed too as they'll be situated at short enough intervals?
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 19 Apr 2006, 16:46

i saw a good example of poor driving today after work. they've been "improving" the one end of the main road in Telford and have installed a box junction by one of the bus stops. this is so the bus can have a clear exit out of the bus stop and into the new bus lane. 3 cars decided to fill the box junction thus stopping the bus from moving and no they didn't want to turn right even though the exit was clear.....excellent.
on the same main road the council has decided to install warning signs about there being 174 casualties in the last 5 years on this road. not a bad statistic really considering how much traffic the dual carriageway handles and they don't bother mentioning the severity of the casualties so it could be anything really. the council has decided that it is going to reduce the speed limit from 70mph to 50mph, initially, and has now backtracked to 60mph in a bid to reduce the number of casualties. the four problems associated with this road as far as i can tell are:
1 - 2 lane slip roads thus making them drag strips and 2 lanes cannot go into the 1 slower lane of the dual carriageway.
2 - drivers who are on the slip roads not/won't/can't accelerate(ing) up to the speed of the traffic already on the dual carriageway.
3 - drivers on the dual carriageway hitting the brakes hard to let number 2 in.
4 - drivers just not going fast enough and causing an obstruction especially around the slip roads.
the council deems this road dangerous, roads are not dangerous drivers are, but they have not installed 1 safety camera along it's length (about 8 miles) but they have done in other places that aren't dangerous thus making them obvious cash printing machines.
rant over :)
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Doive » 19 Apr 2006, 16:51

I did see that. Some village in Oxfordshire was employing local residents to point the hairdryers at drivers. Now, controversially, I think this is a good idea - in busy village locations. However, they are also proposing to do this on motorways and main roads, which isn't such a good idea.

Look at the SPECS system on the M4. Busy motorway, plenty of potential for accidents. How easy is it, without the aid of cruise control, to allow your speed to drift to the wrong side of 80? Again it will make thousands of drivers, who should have 110% concentration on the road, glance repeatedly at their speedos to make sure they aren't going to get caught. It's buerocratic overkill at it's very best - I'm waiting for all the accidents.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby jan olin » 25 Apr 2006, 20:51

In southampton a few years ago on the bitterne bypass there was (& still is) a fixed speed camera & less than a hundred yards further on there was a mobile unit as if to say "got the message yet" & then 1/4 mile further on another camera in a police car. :shock:. Speeding does'nt kill, inappropiate speeding does.
I'm jan the man with a girly name!
jan olin
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 25 Apr 2006, 23:18

jan olin wrote:Speeding does'nt kill, inappropiate speeding does.

:? don't you lot speak/understand english down your way then as that still states speeding kills :lol:
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Neilyman » 25 Apr 2006, 23:27

It`s poor driver skills that do the killing!

Like Guns don`t kill, it`s the person pulling the triggers fault :)
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 25 Apr 2006, 23:33

Neilyman wrote:Like Guns don`t kill, it`s the person pulling the triggers fault

Guns Dont Kill People, Rappers Do :lol:
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 25 Apr 2006, 23:55

On the road across the Salisbury Plain between Warminster and Stonehenge there are no cameras what so ever and the road is like a race way. I Have been .. lets say above the limit.... and still have had cars ranting past me at unbalievable speeds.

There is one corner that in the last year has had at leats 15 cars go off into the field, hedge, fence posts, tree, ditch, and they are all on thiscorner. Nothing seems to put them off, and thats just that corner there are about 5 or 6 other areas like that on the same road.

Like Neil said poor driver skill
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Return to Anything else