do you take younger people less seriously?

If it won`t fit anywhere else, stick it here!

Moderator: Moderators

do you take younger people less seriously?

Postby jifop » 02 Feb 2006, 18:29

right, long story short is that i have been completely fecked about by my local electrical wholesaler over the last few weeks, i am working on a really time critical project to modernise some old equipment.

i ordered about a grands worth of stuff from them for my prototype and told them i needed it asap and that if it all went well there was another 15 grands worth to follow. the stuff didnt come on time, in fact it took two weeks for most of it to come in and then another 3 days for the rest. i call them and they never ring me back, they make up excuses, lie to me and acuse me of lying to their colleuges.

now here is the weird thing, with everyone else who are alot older than me they are really helpfull and return thir calls but they seem to completely ignore me. is it because i'm not a real spark or is it that since they've met me and seen i'm 23 they have lost theyre respect and treat it as "oh the young lad tim from the lighting company it cant really be that important"

i'm bloody polite and i'm not even rude about that fact they are sh1t.
Before you say anything..... no i cant spell or type!

The post above is my own personal opinion, it is not meant to upset or cause offence, if it does bugger off.

Tim
jifop
Rust Junkie
Rust Junkie

Postby Neilyman » 02 Feb 2006, 18:46

Try another wholesaler!, who you using?
If it`s RS, go to Farnells, or visa versa, `tis what I`d do.
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Postby jifop » 02 Feb 2006, 18:50

no its a local shop, for 125A Breakers, shunt trips Current transformers and Earth Leakage relays. RS/farnell don't do them i wish they did

The post above is my own personal opinion, it is not meant to upset or cause offence, if it does bugger off.

Tim
jifop
Rust Junkie
Rust Junkie

Postby geez » 02 Feb 2006, 18:54

Hi mate.
You will probably find that it's more likley that you are not "in the trade" than because you are young.Most wholsalers don't seem to be interested in dealing with the public,I've found the same in my work and I am an old timer of nearly 37.
Sean.
geez
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Neilyman » 02 Feb 2006, 19:12

jifop wrote:no its a local shop,

It`s not in Royston Vasey is it????

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Neilyman

Postby hsr2.6 » 02 Feb 2006, 19:26

tell themt o stuff it all up their hairey ring peice and go somewhere else
rally drivers do it sideways.............well the quick ones do....................
hsr2.6
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby kw107 » 02 Feb 2006, 21:42

Was a away for sometime, now I'm back, had problems with the internet. I wanted to say that the same is here. It's the age what counts. When the older people are together and have a chat and you want to say something, then you realise that you do not exist.

bad english, bad english :D .
I miss my chevette :(
kw107
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Doive » 02 Feb 2006, 23:39

Unfortunately most trade shops like wholesalers only deal with those in the trade, mostly regulars they know well. You are disadvantaged on two counts - 1) being young, and 2) being unknown to them. I found the same in the past, go into a wholesaler, person is dealing with a regular, having a bit of banter. Clocks me, then make a point of ignoring me for at least five minutes, as if I'm something that has just crawled out of the plastic pot plant. Eventually get to me when they have grown bored of picking their nose. 'Aven't got none of them mate....... nah none of those either. You know what they look like?' etc etc. It's only when I started talking the lingo that he actually credited me with any intelligence at all and had the decency to try and help me out. Worst thing was that he was only about 30.

If I were you I'd start shopping around for somewhere that wants your business. In my experience when you use words like 'fifteen' and 'grand' together, people tend to sit up and take notice.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Harry Flatters » 03 Feb 2006, 07:49

I have to say, I've found often that electrical wholesalers are a bunch of idiots anyway - consistently wrong parts, late delivery and so on.

Doive hit it right with the using the lingo bit, though. All groups, trades, and so on have their own way of talking - not only technical terms, but general conversation. Go in there and talk like them - you'll be accepted straight away - and talk as if you are trade and expect to be treated as such; for example, if you've obviously just been given a retail price for something, say 'how much is that to me then?'. If you're phoning the trad counter, don't say 'Good morning, this is X at X company', say 'Morning mate, it's (first name) at X company....'

If you're doing something like this, particularly if there's much more to follow, get the rep in to see you. Tell him what you're doing and how much you're going to spend with him - he'll want to keep you sweet, and you've got someone to shout at if things go wrong.
Harry Flatters
Photographer of the year 2006
Photographer of the year 2006

Postby jifop » 03 Feb 2006, 09:48

maybe your right, the other people from here are all sparks and go way back, wheras i am not!

well i rung round a few other places yesterday, most would only get me 18 as thats all the manufacturer was listing in stock and then it was a two week wait for the rest, but one for example who could only get 18 of each breaker (the same as everyone else) then spoke to the manufacturer direct explained the situation and sorted it so that they would deliver the remainder direct to me from the factory by next friday. Now thats what i call service :D

got a phone call from them this morning to say that all the other parts which they dont stock or have never dealt with before they can get in anyway for me on special order 8)

Tim
jifop
Rust Junkie
Rust Junkie

Postby Doive » 03 Feb 2006, 11:41

Good job! Often best to go direct to the manufacturer, cut out the middle man. When I was building our latest generation of firing systems, we were looking at ordering multipole IP68 connectors for the cores. Decided on some Bulgin ones, which were coming in at £4 odds from RS, who appeared to be the only supplier. The pins were seperate, costing another £3 per connector - so that's £7 each. Now bear in mind we needed 16 per system, and were building three systems.....

So, a bill of 350 odd quid didn't appeal much. We rang Bulgin direct who said they didn't sell direct to the trade. After a bit of friendly banter, the woman on the other end said secretively 'well we do supply this company, who may be able to do you a good deal'. Company was duly contacted, and after brief discussion and discount for bulk order, the connectors were coming in at £1.40 each, and the pins were £1.60. So, £3 per complete connector, that's less than half RS's price - which is why I never deal with RS any more. Great website for finding parts, but then it's straight to the manufacturer.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby jifop » 03 Feb 2006, 12:01

RS are good for the little stuff where price isnt nessicarily the most importnant thing. often time is more important to me than money! and RS always deliver next day for free! but i agree generally its better to ring the manufacturer and ask who they supply to!

i'm still pissed at *beep* electrical though, i think thats really crap customer service

Tim
jifop
Rust Junkie
Rust Junkie

Return to Anything else