Job prospects?

If it won`t fit anywhere else, stick it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Doive » 02 Feb 2006, 23:42

It took that to decide not to employ Tim? Low standards methinks. :lol:
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby shuvit-tim » 03 Feb 2006, 00:30

*i will return to insert a witty retort here at my leisure*

i work on the basis that as a villa supporter i must be an ethnic minority and empoyers look for this to balance their 'pc' books
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby Doive » 03 Feb 2006, 01:38

shuvit-tim wrote:*i will return to insert a witty retort here at my leisure*

That reply will suffice. :lol:

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shoveitpusher » 03 Feb 2006, 11:51

i think Herbie has just about written the definative guide there, some very good advice.

one little point - to me an 'engineer - jigs and fixtures' would involve commisioning, design, gauge Rand R, feaseability, trend setting etc. so a little bit of research into what your claiming wouldn't be a bad idea, then when they ask you could be someone who sticks in their memory even though your not exactly what they are looking for, being able to do the job is as important as knowing the theory (the latter can be quickly taught).

they especially want junior engineers who are team players, they sure as hell can't claim most of their working engineers are, most are only interested in their own speciality and hang the rest (again in my world)
Peter C
Shoveitpusher
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Doive » 03 Feb 2006, 12:05

I've found that as well Peter, the majority of senior engineers don't give a crap about the younger ones, only interested in progressing their own career and nuts to everyone else. There are the odd ones who want to help the lower ranks, I encountered a few of those, and if I ever make it to the ranks of senior engineer I'll try my best to be the same. Companies expect engineers to have the answer to everything, I often had to hold my hands up and say 'I don't know'.

Sometimes speaking to people informally helps move things along. In the company I did my placement in, the most senior software engineer was the spitting image of Wally from Dilbert. Nice enough guy, but during my first summer and most of the weay through the second one he made an obvious point of not speaking to me at all. Eventually I was in the kitchen making tea (my usual habitat) when he walked in, noticed me but pretended not to, and proceeded to make coffee (software beverage of choice - coder fuel). Anyway, I made a flippant remark about a particular machine, and so stunned was he that I had spoken to him, he stared blankly at me for a few seconds as if I had just emerged from behind the hand towel dispenser, before responding. From then on I had difficulty shutting him up! Really nice guy, just seemed to have grown up in the industry believing senior engineers should never speak to junior ones.

Med Venlig Hilsen

Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Previous

Return to Anything else