Panther Westwind

If it won`t fit anywhere else, stick it here!

Moderator: Moderators

Panther Westwind

Postby Shellysowner » 21 Dec 2005, 00:30

I was just casually browing austin-rover.co.uk, as you do, and I found this article. It mentions a panther version of the chevette which our very own history page also briefly talks about. Anyone know anything more about it?
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby shuvit-tim » 21 Dec 2005, 13:10

launched in 1980 for a more realistic £7500, was a plushly retrimmed and turbocharged Vauxhall Chevette HS, which dispensed with the Rio's bespoke aluminium bodywork in favour of a mild bodykit

the only turbocharged chevette i knew of was that black prototype built for pentii?
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby Neilyman » 21 Dec 2005, 13:30

The Panter Westwind was turbo`d as well Tim.
I`ve just spoken to a guy who is involved with the Panther car club, he worked at panther cars. The Panther West winds Chevette was a `Company` Car, they only ever built 1, more as a fun thing, they did the same to a Triumph Dolly, which is what the Panther Lima is based upon.......As far as he knows, it has `gone`!....It`s not registered with the Panther owners club, & he`s not heard or seen anything of it for years. He did drive it though when he worked there.
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Postby Harry Flatters » 21 Dec 2005, 21:17

Panther Lima's based on a Magnum, isn't it?
Harry Flatters
Photographer of the year 2006
Photographer of the year 2006

Postby Neilyman » 22 Dec 2005, 00:09

You`re right Harry, it is, the Rio is the Dolly based one :oops:
Neilyman

Postby Shellysowner » 22 Dec 2005, 03:27

Neilyman wrote:I`ve just spoken to a guy who is involved with the Panther car club, he worked at panther cars. The Panther West winds Chevette was a `Company` Car, they only ever built 1, more as a fun thing, they did the same to a Triumph Dolly, which is what the Panther Lima is based upon.......As far as he knows, it has `gone`!....It`s not registered with the Panther owners club, & he`s not heard or seen anything of it for years. He did drive it though when he worked there.

Stirling detective work there Neily - every day's a schoolday on Chevettes.com :D
Shellysowner

Postby shuvit-tim » 22 Dec 2005, 12:14

did he help build it? does he have any details on exactly what they used for their version of a turbo'd chevette?
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby Doive » 24 Dec 2005, 13:01

Oooo there is a Panther Rio for sale in this month's Practical Classics, guy is looking six grand for it which is two and a half less than it would have cost back in the 70s. It's not exactly a pretty car, somewhat resembling a russian built Zil, but on sheer novelty value alone I'd buy it. The interior is extremely comfortable, although the notion that this was some sort of smaller alternative to a Bentley SII is frankly ridiculous. Think of it as a slightly more expensive alternative to a Vanden Plas 1500.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Panther Westwind

Postby Telekon » 01 Jan 2006, 12:42

Hi,

I used to own a Chevette 2.3 single cam turbo built by Panther Cars. As I recall, it was in red with HSR Black Magic bumpers and whaletail rear spoiler. It had a HS instrument panel and console, and leather seats and door cards. The 4 speed gearbox was from a Vauxhall Magnum, judging from the gear lever which was the bent angled one- horrible and well out of place in a Chevette! The wheels were the same as found on the Blackwatch models and the badges were replaced with Panther ones. As for the performance, the acceleration was rapid but the engine needed replacing and the turbo was apparently not working correctly. I bought it at a time when I didn't have much mechanical knowledge, but I wanted a fast Chevette. Little did I know how much money I would spend on it in the year I owned it. I'm sure it would be worth a lot of money now due to the very limited numbers produced. If I knew how to send pictures via computers, I would produce some. Can anyone advise?

Thanks,
Telekon
Telekon
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Re: Panther Westwind

Postby Shellysowner » 01 Jan 2006, 18:39

Telekon wrote:If I knew how to send pictures via computers, I would produce some. Can anyone advise?

If you submit your pictures to the photo gallery here then I will post there mere for you. Just use the buttons marked browse to the images on your pc and they will be uploaded to the site.

Alternatively you can email them to me shellys_owner *at* chevettes *dot* com (replace *at* with the @ symbol and *dot* with a full stop).
Shellysowner

Postby Nostrebor777 » 19 Sep 2007, 11:18

Ye Olde thread revival!! :D

Is there any Pictures available of the panther chevette? I've found a few blurry pics. Any ideas of specs?
lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
totally worn out shouting what a ride!
Nostrebor777
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Return to Anything else