Temp gauge..... how high?? :?

Got a problem with your beloved Chevette?
Can`t find the answer in the manuals?...ask here!

Moderator: Moderators

Temp gauge..... how high?? :?

Postby jifop » 20 May 2005, 07:41

hello guys, until recently i have always had an electric fan in my chevette and i had the beige one was so long ago i cant remember what it was like but basically when driving normally it sits at about halfway but when in heavy traffic it goes up to about 2mm off the red, is this normal?
Before you say anything..... no i cant spell or type!

The post above is my own personal opinion, it is not meant to upset or cause offence, if it does bugger off.

Tim
jifop
Rust Junkie
Rust Junkie

Postby Neilyman » 20 May 2005, 09:14

I`d say so, mine does about the same. Might be worth checking the timing though, if that`s out a tad it can affect the cooling by running hot, yet still appear to drive ok.
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Postby Doive » 23 May 2005, 02:24

Changed my 'stat recently for a 4 degree warmer one, gauge used to always sit on the edge of the cold. Now it rises to the first white notch after about two minutes of driving and stays there, even when sitting in heavy traffic. I'd say if yours is sitting on or very near the red, check your fan coupling is actually coupling and not just spinning uselessly. Also replace your stat if in doubt, they can get lazy and stick slightly open and let your car run hot, or stick fully open and let it run very cold (like mine).
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby jifop » 23 May 2005, 07:01

Doive wrote:Changed my 'stat recently for a 4 degree warmer one, gauge used to always sit on the edge of the cold. Now it rises to the first white notch after about two minutes of driving and stays there, even when sitting in heavy traffic. I'd say if yours is sitting on or very near the red, check your fan coupling is actually coupling and not just spinning uselessly. Also replace your stat if in doubt, they can get lazy and stick slightly open and let your car run hot, or stick fully open and let it run very cold (like mine).

the fan is good and it has a new stat already!

The post above is my own personal opinion, it is not meant to upset or cause offence, if it does bugger off.

Tim
jifop
Rust Junkie
Rust Junkie

Postby Neilyman » 23 May 2005, 09:34

So have you checked the timing? Only needs to be a tad out.
Neilyman

Postby jifop » 23 May 2005, 13:44

not yet, havent driven it for a few days as we lift share to work! and i dont have a timing light so i'll use the one at work when i come in next.

Tim
jifop
Rust Junkie
Rust Junkie

Postby iety2004 » 24 May 2005, 00:48

Think the timing was out on mine or the mixture too weak at the carb, always in the red, but the fuel gauge i found to work alright
I ain't getting in no plane!
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Doive » 24 May 2005, 01:27

Always in the red?? Cue why your big end finally let go then.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Mantadoc » 19 Nov 2006, 19:03

Do you guys notsuffer fromthe dreadedvoltage regulator problem found in Mantas? Quite often fuel reads empty and tempreads hot.
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby UpNorth » 19 Nov 2006, 19:53

Sometimes the temperature sender goes haywire. Also a new one is no guarantee of it being okay - the best check is in a pan of water getting heated next to a thermometer to check its operation.

However I suspect that the gauges are crap. The Kadett used to go to the red within 1/2 mile & then stay there - before it packed up. The Henna Red saloon (R.I.P. :cry: ) usually read very low & the current Chavalier reads from 3/4 up to the red but is clearly no where near boiling.
Anyone have a 6R4 for sale? Unfortunately I've only got £1K spare but I could throw in a few eggs to sweeten the deal!
UpNorth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 19 Nov 2006, 23:05

Mantadoc wrote:Do you guys notsuffer fromthe dreadedvoltage regulator problem found in Mantas? Quite often fuel reads empty and tempreads hot.

yeah they're a problem (probably the same part) too. my fuel gauge is ok but my temperature one doesn't work and it's not the sender.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Chevette Girl » 30 Nov 2006, 03:48

Wow, you guys get a gauge? The North American ones just have a "TEMP" light that comes on when it's getting too hot...
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 30 Nov 2006, 20:03

yea but by then it'll be too late :(
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby CancerWagon » 01 Dec 2006, 05:53

Temp (dummy) light sensor is in the block halfway up the cylanders in the very front, and ticks on at about 115 centigrade.

I've never trusted them, the steam blowing from under the bonnet usually is more imformative. :evil: Luckilly the 1600cc NA engine is rather robust.
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Chevette Girl » 16 Dec 2006, 22:43

I dunno, never had steam from under the hood, but then, the one time I played with the temp gauge (was missing rather a lot of fins on the radiator but it wasn't leaking so I was procrastinating) and I discovered on 6-hour trip down the 401 that if I did a certain speed, the temp light would come on (it slowly fades in) but if I dropped my speed by 5 km/h, it went off in less than a minute. Another learning experience, like how much oil I have left when the oil light comes on (just the tip of the dipstick, constant to 2 different Chevettes)
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Return to Trouble Shooting