Damn starter motors!!!

Got a problem with your beloved Chevette?
Can`t find the answer in the manuals?...ask here!

Moderator: Moderators

Damn starter motors!!!

Postby pinhead » 19 Apr 2005, 16:37

On my way back to uni 2 weeks ago the bottom end of my engine decided to start knocking HEAVILY. managed to kreep to uni rather than turn round. did an engine change, but, when i was putting all the little connections back onto the starter, i over tightened the connection and basically buggered it proper. tried to fix the snapped connection by drilling into the stud and putting a screw to hold it together. when i turned the key, it kluncked and did nothing.

about 10 seconds after the engine bay was filling with smoke RAPIDLY! pulled the connections off the battery and then chacked every thing to see if its ok. all seemed ok but the speedo cable was warm to the touch. got a newer solenoid and tried that but it wouldnt engage. it kluncks and then does a slow grinding spin.

my problem is that im not sure whats going on, and why its doing it. any explanation would be hugely appreciated.

cheers from a student willing to learn!!! (about cars that is)

EMU
pinhead
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby iety2004 » 19 Apr 2005, 18:28

I think the starter motors off earlier Vaux's fit, so i'd try and change the whole thing and see if it still does it,

Thought that changing a starter was a right c**t of a job tho

Cheers
I ain't getting in no plane!
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Neilyman » 19 Apr 2005, 18:57

If the speedo cable was getting warm, you`ve got a bad earth connection from engine to Chassis! & the cable was acting as an earth.
put a new engine earth strap on...or connect up the original one that you forgot when you swapped the block!! :)

Starter motors are a peice of pish if you know how to do it & have a very long socket extensionbar!
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Postby iety2004 » 19 Apr 2005, 20:48

Th large Halfords by Asda in swansea do a range of earth starps by the car batteries, watch out for the man following you around trying to get u o have a credit card tho.
I ain't getting in no plane!
iety2004
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby shuvit-tim » 20 Apr 2005, 01:46

be very careful with buying a chevette starter motor that you get the right type. Vauxhall changed which one they fitted every time it was tuesday.

Be sure to check:
solenoid or inertia type?
casing length - some are longer than others and you need th eright one else it may not fit in place due to the exhaust manifold
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Return to Trouble Shooting