All about the ride

Got a problem with your beloved Chevette?
Can`t find the answer in the manuals?...ask here!

Moderator: Moderators

All about the ride

Postby Hoover » 16 Feb 2005, 20:32

Here is a problem i have with my car she makes a little too much noise when i am driving,but with out the proper technical help and parts i am stuck caus i don't know wat is compalible with my car. What can i do ,is it the rubbers or bushings that needs changing and if so what is compatible. My Chevette is an SL SOH 1.6 4door manual, please help
Hoover
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby shuvit-tim » 16 Feb 2005, 20:34

do you know roughly where the noise is coming from? is it the engine or elsewhere?

Could just be part of the exhaust has a whol in or a bracket on the exhaust has come loose, could be a sticky tappet, lots of things it could be i'm afraid :?
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby Chevette Girl » 21 Sep 2005, 04:07

Mine sounded like the car was driving on gravel even though it wasn't when the hanger bearing (or torque tube, or that piece of driveshaft between the transmission and the differential, whatever you want to call it) went, good luck replacing that part, they don't make them new anymore and getting them off junkers is a bit dodgy...
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Postby Chevette Girl » 21 Sep 2005, 04:09

Not to be pessimistic, of course, it's likely not the hanger bearing anyway... there are plenty of reasons an otherwise healthy car might make too much noise, bit you'll have to let us know a bit more about what kind of noise, what conditions seems to cause it, and where it's coming from...
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Postby Tortron » 21 Sep 2005, 05:39

you havnt recently removed your carpet, is the gearstick rubber boot correctly attatched, is the exhaust vibrating on the underside of the car, brake pads rubbing, worn bearings?
This text comfirms the fact that directly above this is a line
"as you would expect on a car of this age..."
The chevette vin decoder
Tortron
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Trouble Shooting