Problems 1987 Acadian

Got a problem with your beloved Chevette?
Can`t find the answer in the manuals?...ask here!

Moderator: Moderators

Problems 1987 Acadian

Postby north450 » 25 Dec 2004, 03:11

I overhauled my carburator. The car was running ok .The only problem i had was when i started my car in the morning it used to shake a bit for 30 seconds anf then it ran ok .
When the temperature dropped to minus 22 celcius the car would not start. The car was towed to a service station and they changed the distributor cap and rotor and charged the battery. I picked it up the next day and it was raining 7 degrees celcius. Parked the car and the temperature dropped down to minus 12 c. The next morning the car started for 10 seconds and then conked out. Tried to start it again and it did not start.
My previous post was here.
http://forum.chevettes.com/viewtopic.php?t=8891
I spent 170 for rebuilding the carburator and 80 dollars for the cap and rotor. I also bought the heating unit for the base of the carb. That cost me 79 dollars. It was never installed since the mechanic who did the carburator job said i did not need it. The car has a electronic choke and is an automatic with power steering and power brakes.
Is this a choke adjustment or vacum break adjustment as the car was shaking for 30 seconds. Would it suggest the mixture on start up is too rich or lean. Should i replace the heating unit for the base of the carb

What should i do .
Any ideas will be appreciated
north450
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Chevette Girl » 09 Jan 2005, 13:19

I've had similar problems, it'll run till it kicks outta high idle then it dies... It's usually been a choke problem, usually something relatively inexpensive (last time it was a $10 part).

For a while, if it stalled out before it was completely warmed up, I'd have tp pop the hood, open the air filter and use the tire iron that I keep beside the driver's seat to hold the carb plates open cause the choke was crappy...
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Postby shuvit-tim » 09 Jan 2005, 15:34

isn't this the same problem that you've been having since the dawn of time chevette girl!?
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby Crum B » 11 Jan 2005, 04:40

Do you pump the gas befor startup on cold days?When it dies after so long and wont start try holding the pedal to the floor and try to start it if it fires up keep your foot into it until it revs up smoothly (trick for most chevs)
If all else fails i'd say its running to rich 8)
Lifes a Garden Dig It
Crum B
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Chevette Girl » 07 Apr 2005, 03:06

Not since the dawn of time, just when the choke's buggered...

Mine does the 30 second shake sometimes... I do know I've got uneven piston pressure sometimes but it seems to be evening out when the car is warm now... and I've had the carb overhauled and adjusted and fiddled with, (don't freaking ask me how much it's cost me so far, I refuse to think about it) and I still end up playing the fine balance between having a run-on problem and having a not-quite-warm stalling problem...

Did you have the choke checked? Mine gets out of kilter every year or two, one of my buddies thinks that if you warm up the car completely it will keep your choke adjusted properly, but that sorta defeats the whole purpose of having a choke... I just get in and drive, on a really cold day I'll give it two minutes while I brush snow or scrape ice, but I rarely let the engine warm up completely before I drive.

I honestly don't know about that carb heater, I have no idea if mine has one or if it works, or if any Chevette I've had before had a functional one (I know my last one had a hole through it).

I always have to tap the gas at least once when I start mine unless she's still warm... don't know if this is normal for a 23 year old car, but it's been true of all my Chevettes/Acadians... :roll:
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Return to Trouble Shooting