Starter Motor

Got a problem with your beloved Chevette?
Can`t find the answer in the manuals?...ask here!

Moderator: Moderators

Starter Motor

Postby Clara » 29 Sep 2007, 23:02

I'm presuming the starter motor is the same one that they have in the later Vivas. However I've never had to buy a starter motor for a later Viva (preferring to blow the engine up instead) before so can someone please recommend a seller? How are www.speedyspares.co.uk with Chevette parts?

Or failing that - Ralph any idea if AVP will be able to get their hands on one if I wear a short skirt on Monday? :lol:
Clara
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Gordo » 30 Sep 2007, 10:02

Have you confirmed it is the starter motor, not the solenoid?
Depending on the starter motor, you should be able to buy a brush set and have someone fit them for you, if it's the inertial engagement playing up, you should be able to get it replaced - or it may just need a good squirt of oil (good idea for the bushe as well).

Forgot - if you've the legs for them, short skirts are ALWAYS a good idea ... :twisted:
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Clara » 30 Sep 2007, 18:25

Gordo wrote:Have you confirmed it is the starter motor, not the solenoid?
Depending on the starter motor, you should be able to buy a brush set and have someone fit them for you, if it's the inertial engagement playing up, you should be able to get it replaced - or it may just need a good squirt of oil (good idea for the bushe as well).

Forgot - if you've the legs for them, short skirts are ALWAYS a good idea ... :twisted:

The solenoid seems to be working fine, though at the moment the car is starting without a problem (when it doubt pull it to bits cover it in oil and hope for the best).

Thanks for the information!
Clara
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Shellysowner » 30 Sep 2007, 22:58

So... there's nothing wrong?

No idea whether AVP will be able to get one or not but they'd be your best bet.
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
<s>1980 Chevette L Estate</s>
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Clara » 01 Oct 2007, 08:05

Shellysowner wrote:So... there's nothing wrong?

No idea whether AVP will be able to get one or not but they'd be your best bet.

There was something wrong. In that when leaving my parents house on Saturday night the starter motor needed a little gentle persuasion before it would spin (before you ask - yes we made sure it wasn't in gear). It also refused to spin last night (after it had been partly stripped and covered in oil) when Tim the Lodger tried to move it (but then worked fine when I tried so we'll just call Tim incompetent). I've followed the wiring to make sure nothing was loose and there is a supply getting to the starter motor so at the moment I fear something is sticking.
Or I'm just being incredibly thick. If it starts this morning I'll take it to work so that I can play with it in the workshop.
Clara
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Doive » 01 Oct 2007, 12:09

A big hammer is your friend.

Actually, now that I think of it my car did something similar a couple of years ago. Occasionally I'd turn the key and nowt would happen. Whacking the motor with a big hammer provided no joy, so I started tracing back the wiring. Eventually came to the connector block that joins the ignition switch to the rest of the loom, and it turned out one of the bullet connectors had come loose over the years and was refusing to engage properly. Not quite sure what I did now, but a bit of constructive bodgery had it all well again.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Return to Trouble Shooting