Heaters

Got a problem with your beloved Chevette?
Can`t find the answer in the manuals?...ask here!

Moderator: Moderators

Heaters

Postby Clara » 29 Sep 2007, 10:11

I've been having a few issues with the heater in the estate - mainly the inability to stop the front windscreen from repeatedly misting up (the rest of the windows clear really quickly). The air vents that face the windscreen seem really weak in comparison with the others. Is this a normal Chevette oddity? I've checked as much as I can for blockages that might restrict it but have so far found nothing.

Can anyone suggest something that I might have missed? Or ways to keep the screen clear!

Thank you!!
Clara
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Shellysowner » 29 Sep 2007, 11:29

Keep a cloth in the driver's door pocket :D
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
<s>1980 Chevette L Estate</s>
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Gordo » 29 Sep 2007, 15:08

Off hand, some suggestions.
The control rod has come loose - you'll see the mechanism to the left of the console - and isn't diverting the air to the screen.
The plastic guides from the heater unit to the windscreen vents are dislodged, allowing the air out.
The radiator/matrix is partially blocked by leaves, etc.

If it's not warming the air, it could be a dud thermostat - is the temperature guage registering?
The cable may have become dislodged, preventing the heater temperature valve being altered.

I've always thought of the Chevette heater as being a particularely good one.
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Doive » 29 Sep 2007, 18:50

I can confirm, at least in the brief time I was driving the car, that the footwell heaters on top of the transmission tunnel work very well indeed. My natural driving mode is with window down and hot air on if it's night or cold. Bombing along the motorway at 70 I moved the vent flap down to the footwell, and was greeted with blisteringly hot legs after about 3 miles, so the incoming air itself is getting warmed properly. From what I could tell, the vent control flap was working properly, as it moved through the entire range of operation from closed to screen to legs. I do remember briefly leaving it on screen and the output being fairly woeful, but then my Chevette isn't a whole lot better in that department. Could a pipe be blocked or crushed inside the car?
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Clara » 29 Sep 2007, 22:54

Doive wrote:Could a pipe be blocked or crushed inside the car?

Ahh my joyous test pilot! I haven't found any pipes that seem blocked / loose / broken yet. Right now I'm just glad to know that I wont need to fit a small jet to the dashboard to improve the current heater.

I'll be looking at this problem again, right after I've replaced the starter motor.
Clara
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby CancerWagon » 30 Sep 2007, 08:08

There is stuff you can get for glasses / helmet visors called "fog-zero" that does help greatly with fogging windows both glass and plastic.

Doesn't solve the problem but will help in the meanwhile. No clue if it's available in the UK though...
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualit├Ąt."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Trouble Shooting