Whine when dipped or main beam turned on

Got a problem with your beloved Chevette?
Can`t find the answer in the manuals?...ask here!

Moderator: Moderators

Whine when dipped or main beam turned on

Postby Mull » 30 May 2007, 19:46

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum it was recomended to me by Doive from the Pop classics forum.

I have just bought a 1982 Hatch, and while I was checking it over in the garage today, I noticed that when I put the headlights on there is a slight whine from the engine bay.

If I blip the throttle it disappears until the engine settles to idle speed again. Could this be the alternator or is it something else?

Anyhelp greatly appreciated. :?

Cheers

Mull
Mull
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby ross.cheeks » 30 May 2007, 20:30

does sound like the belt or alternator thats *beep*.
ross.cheeks
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby CancerWagon » 31 May 2007, 00:40

I've heard alternators make a slight whine under load before. Never thought much of it. Check the belts and then turn everything electrical on and test the voltage.

If it's whining but producing the proper 13.8v (or close to) under a good load, don't fret too much about it. :)
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualität."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby UpNorth » 31 May 2007, 06:22

Gotta be the altenator.
Anyone have a 6R4 for sale? Unfortunately I've only got £1K spare but I could throw in a few eggs to sweeten the deal!
UpNorth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Doive » 31 May 2007, 10:21

Mine used to do exactly the same thing. Does it disappear at all when the car is taken for a run? If I was driving mine at night, the first ten minutes of a journey was accompanied by the fanbelt screeching at every set of traffic lights when the dipped beam was on. It will likely just be your fanbelt needing tensioned, this is most apparent when the alternator is under load after starting the engine and whacking the lights on. It's unlikely the alternator itself is goosed, but stranger things I suppose.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Mull » 31 May 2007, 19:27

It does disappear after the car has been driven and warmed up.

Tried to order an alternator belt todaybut no joy at the mo. I've gotta have a look under the bonnet to see if the part no is still visible.
Mull
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Doive » 01 Jun 2007, 08:49

Halfrauds stock them on the shelf. They tend not to list the dear old Chevette any longer on their parts lists, I think the belt number was something like 637. If all else fails, take the belt off your car and compare it to all the ones for sale in Halfrauds until you get a match.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Mull » 01 Jun 2007, 15:37

Got one thanks.

My local motor factor seemed well chuffed that someone came in with a proper car.

So circa £50 lighter I now have all my stuff for the service. Hope to get it done tonight, if not tomorrow. :D
Mull
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Gordo » 02 Jun 2007, 09:57

If it still plays up, have an auto-electrician put a scope on it and check the output signal - it may ahave a dead diode or two that can give a slight noise when it's generating higher levels of current, such as when the lights are put on or it's recharging the battery after starting.
There should be a regular ripple in the voltage - if there's a gap there's a dead diode or OC winding.
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Trouble Shooting