Wet Floors-

Got a problem with your beloved Chevette?
Can`t find the answer in the manuals?...ask here!

Moderator: Moderators

Wet Floors-

Postby Good Frosty » 08 Feb 2006, 22:40

This is a problem I have always had with Chevettes. All of them have wet or damp floors (Especially in the back)

They were all four-doors (Never checked the Scooter, floors coated in garbage) but they all have wet floors in them.

I can't figure out where the water would come from. They have all the glass, and weather stripping, and the drip-rails.

The only thing I can think of that causes this would be some kind of design flaw in the drip-rails. The reason why I'm asking is that I would hate to redo the carpet in a car, only for it to be soaked.

Has anyone else had this problem?

-BH21
Good Frosty
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Doive » 08 Feb 2006, 23:47

A common problem on the UK chevettes are wet footwells in the front. This is typically caused by corrosion of the bulkhead below the battery and washer bottle, usually holed on both sides like mine. I have no problem with damp in the rear of my 4 door saloon, does yours have a sunroof fitted? If so could this be leaking? If not I'd have a good look at the rear door rubbers, lie in the back of the car and have a friend hose the car down to see if you can spot any leaks.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Good Frosty » 12 Feb 2006, 19:50

Mine dosn't have a sun-roof, but it does leak form some where, i just don't see how it could come through the door, but I'll look at the weather-stripping.

-BH21
Good Frosty
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Harry Flatters » 12 Feb 2006, 21:15

I hesitate to translate specifics from UK cars 'cos the superstructure is different; but speaking generally I've found that on a lot of vehicles of the late '70s, '80s, and early '90s the window rubbers harden and stop sealing. Often a giveaway is white staining on the inside of the rubbers. Screen sealer will sort it out, if it's that - use the professional stuff that stays flexible though, not silicon sealer.
Harry Flatters
Photographer of the year 2006
Photographer of the year 2006

Postby Chevette Girl » 19 Jul 2006, 03:28

Never had trouble with rear footwells being wet, but the front ones have been a constant battle in all my Chevettes and Acadians. Even after replacing the windshield, there was enough rust deterioration that this one still leaked, so I got out me trusty caulking gun, and no more windshield leaks. There's also a seam that runs between the fender and the post that runs up beside the windshield, caulking the heck out of that stopped most of the water from dripping on my toes and down the inside of the fender when it rained. The other reasons I've had for wet footwells have included holes in the floor (wet carpet from going through puddles) and also when I first bought my current Beast, there was this fist-sized hole in the horizontal part of the firewall (that kind of shelf where the fan/heater core box sits against the firewall), and I had another friend with leaky Chevettes tell me that he caulked the inside of the fender from the shelf all the way up and that fixed most of his leaks too...
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Return to Trouble Shooting