Brake conversion HELP

Yep, the old Volvo/Carlton saga continues here.

Moderator: Moderators

Brake conversion HELP

Postby Hoover » 21 Feb 2005, 19:23

I want too do a conversion on my brakes but i want to iron out all the tecnicalities,are the rear disc/rota different from the front, dose the disc need to be a specific size and wat size and how many holes dose the rota have and dose it have to be vented or unvented and what dose it mean

MY car is a Brazilian Chevette SL 89 model 4door
Hoover
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Doive » 27 Feb 2005, 01:41

Are you sure you have discs on the back? All British built chevettes have drums rear and discs front. The discs are unvented here, they bolt directly onto the hub which then fits over the stub axle and is held in place by the wheel bearing and nut. The drums are usually held on by the back wheel, when the wheel is taken off and the handbrake released they should just come off by hand.

Are you actually planning to change your brakes to another model, or are you just wanting to replace them for new components?
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Hoover » 28 Feb 2005, 18:45

My mistake i have drum brake in the rear, i ment are rear rotas different/ whats the difference. yes i plan to change the brakes to a different model
Hoover
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Doive » 28 Feb 2005, 19:26

What you need to find out is how many holes your axle have for wheel bolts as any new discs will need to fit these, will the new discs fit behind your wheels, and will any callipers you plan to fit actually fit the stub axle without too much modification? There are a lot of questions for this particular swap. Are there any mechanics in your area who could give you some more advice about possible donor cars as they would be able to see the parts and give you advice better than we can manage without the car here.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Return to Brakes