Changing dials?

If it`s got wires, it`ll be in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Changing dials?

Postby Raver » 23 May 2005, 22:21

Whilst im stripping down and reshelling the vette i was wondering if i can change the dials as by the looks of things they have had paper ones glued ontop as there's bubbles underneath and looks messy. could i print my own onto a certain type of paper and have my own design??? Also can you change the bulbs as i was thinking of white dials with a light blue or blue lighting?
Raver
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Re: Changing dials?

Postby mint » 23 May 2005, 22:42

Raver wrote:Whilst im stripping down and reshelling the vette i was wondering if i can change the dials as by the looks of things they have had paper ones glued ontop as there's bubbles underneath and looks messy. could i print my own onto a certain type of paper and have my own design??? Also can you change the bulbs as i was thinking of white dials with a light blue or blue lighting?

Neilys done somthing like this, but I would imagine a stationary store would sell coloured A4 acetate sheets. make up a template on whatever art program you use and print it straight on to the sheet. Search the web for LED car bulbs as you can get direct replacements for lighting the dash (and the interior and all the other bulbs on your car if you want!)
Chevette instrument panel bulbs are the same as on the Nova if thats any help.
mint
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Neilyman » 23 May 2005, 23:02

Sure have!

Take the dials apart & scan them 100% @ 300dpi. send to Photoshop or your image editing software.
Invert the colours so you get white dials with black numbers.
Change the colours to what ever you like, add other images/graphics to suit.
Print out on quality photo paper at high quality. You don`t need acetate as the the dials are not `back lit` they are lit from the front by reflection, the pod is white inside to reflect the light.
Cut `em out and spray glue them to original dial faces.
You can paint the needles a contrasting colour, nail varnish is good for that, good/weird colours!...et voila!

The blue lights are just blue leds, bought from local car parts shop, ie Halfrauds. They are `twist in`s like the o/e lights, they come in other colours too. If they don`t light, put them in the other way round as leds are polarity concious, then they will light.
Stick every thing back together & wait for it to get dark... :)
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Return to Electrical