Haunted windscreen wipers.

If it`s got wires, it`ll be in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Haunted windscreen wipers.

Postby CancerWagon » 12 May 2007, 06:03

I can't turn them off :lol:

Every so often (maby once or twice a day) the wipers just start going without warning. and eventually stop. Usually after hitting a good bump. Having the lower dash panel removed, I had the cunning idea, "I'll unplug the switch harness! That'll fix 'em!" Nope, they just go faster when I did that.

Checked out the control switch with a tester, and appears to be okay, I believe the problem is in the motor assembly itself (thoes contact bits to determine the rest position), but not 100% sure.

Input, suggesstions, seen anything of this sort before? Other than the haunted moments, they operate as per the norm. [/list]
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualit├Ąt."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Harry Flatters » 12 May 2007, 08:00

If it's a multi-speed wiper particularly with an intermittent wipe setting you can get this fault if there's a bad earth at the wiper motor assembly
Harry Flatters
Photographer of the year 2006
Photographer of the year 2006

Postby CancerWagon » 13 Jul 2007, 09:55

I do believe you were spot on with that one! Giving the motor itself a good whack with a blunt object seems to set it straight when it gets uppity. Moved the assembly about abd re-tightened he bolts and it hasn't aced up since. :D

for the record:

It is a two speed with "manual intermittent" The optional intermittent for North american cars just sent a pulse down the same elecrical lead as the low speed or 'manual' momentary switch. IF you were luckier than I and actually have one.
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualit├Ąt."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Electrical