Drain on battery

If it`s got wires, it`ll be in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Drain on battery

Postby Wyke » 05 Mar 2006, 21:51

My battery ( although new ) sluggishly turns engine and shows low to mid charge by end of week. After standing for weekend in cold weather it just about turns.
I decided to investigate this weekend and put a current meter between battery terminal and lead to solenoid. It had a constany staedy reading about 20 mA. I took off terminals for alternator and the L shaped ( field coils I think) - dropped the value to about 7.5mA.

Tried to disconnect other electrical items but still a steady 7 to 10 mA leaking away.

Any ideas - seems to be a faulty alternator along with something else - not sure what !

Wyke
Wyke
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Doive » 05 Mar 2006, 22:29

Do you have a clock? If so this can easily draw a current of that magnitude. To be honest a current draw of 20mA shouldn't worry a modern battery at all, even with a low capacity of say 100Ah the battery should be able to sustain that current for 5000 hours - or almost 30 weeks. If you fit a modern stereo system it will easily draw between 20 and 30mA when off.

I'd take a close look at your earthing straps between engine and body, and the earth battery lead. It sounds as if you have a big resistor in there somewhere preventing the battery from delivering and receiving current. Check battery voltage with the engine running and up to temperature - anything below 13.6V is a bit suspect.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby grim_b » 06 Mar 2006, 11:12

I have been having power problems too. So far I have replaced the battery with a new Heavy Duty one but if I leave the car out of the garage for the night in the cold, it really doesn't want to start. I have been told that it may be the altinator? If you find your problem, do let us know. (I don't have a volt meter) :roll:

Good luck.
I loved my car, but she has to go.... :(
grim_b
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby chris(not) » 06 Mar 2006, 13:48

You can get a cheap digital meter for about a fiver from Maplin. Almost cheap enough to be disposable when the battery dies......

(I got two when they did a BOGOF on them some time back)

Chris
...........________
........./|__|__|__|\____
.=.=.( _---|__|__|__---_)
.............O...............O
Chris
chris(not)
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

78 battery drain

Postby Wyke » 07 Mar 2006, 00:25

I have a clock but it does not work.
No stereo or radio

removed bulb from boot.

L shaped alternator connector when removed does reduce drain but still about 10mA

It is a heavy duty battery. I`m intrigued about earth straps - not sure what you mean but I`ll check connections.
Thanks for help
Wyke
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Return to Electrical