Signal Flash Speed

If it`s got wires, it`ll be in here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby shuvit-tim » 20 Sep 2006, 23:03

is it possible that the chevette alternators just arent quite up to the job? stick the heating fan on as well as the lights and see if everything dims/slows further
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 20 Sep 2006, 23:05

Marks indicators flashed at a 'modern' speed....i could just make them out through the blue haze :P
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby shuvit-tim » 20 Sep 2006, 23:07

:lol:

has marks chevette got a tinge of the blue smoke to it then> we'll have to badge it up as an orion!
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 20 Sep 2006, 23:14

shuvit-tim wrote::lol:

has marks chevette got a tinge of the blue smoke to it then> we'll have to badge it up as an orion!

more than a tinge as i was choking and my eyes were watering whenever he lifted/resumed accelerating/started off :)
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Doive » 21 Sep 2006, 08:18

...or did any driving of any sort.

I did notice that Ralph's indicators were significantly slower than Mark's, although I shouldn't think it's anything to worry about. Assuming they both have the Lucas electronic unit, it will probably be down to the tolerances of different components, usually 10% on values. No two left the factory the same! It will also be down to ageing of components, over time capacitors stop capaciting and so make the unit a bit lazy. The Lucas unit in my car is utterly defunct, and has been replaced by a big mechanical flasher unit that works very well.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Postby Shellysowner » 21 Sep 2006, 09:00

I noticed that too but I quite like the indicators slower tbh - they're a bit more 'chilled' than most :) Anyways there can't be anything wrong with having them like that as they went through the MOT last week.
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
<s>1980 Chevette L Estate</s>
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Doive » 21 Sep 2006, 09:13

I think according to the MoT book the longest duration between successive flashes is 2 seconds, which yours comfortably meets. Cars like Allegros have a much worse problem, where the flasher unit sticks on almost permanently and only triggers off for the briefest of moments. It classifies as a flash though, so it passes the MoT. I've always liked that for some reason, the flasher unit having become more monostable that astable. Good old Lucas electrics. New Jag X-type units are trying to move back to that, except the other way round.
A125 EMY - 1983 Chevette L in Mocha Brown

Med Venlig Hilsen

http://www.doive.co.uk
Doive
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin
Pyrotechnic Nutter Admin

Previous

Return to Electrical