2.0 ohc

If it`s got wires, it`ll be in here.

Moderator: Moderators

2.0 ohc

Postby blackwat? » 15 Sep 2005, 19:43

hi, havn't started it yet but have all the right bits i think. putting a 2.0 s.o.h.c from a carlton in, trying to do it on the cheep so no twin 40's and no manta 1.8 ditributor set up. have the ecu and all engine wiring back to where it goes back through the bulkhead at the passenger side, im guessing when i strip out what i dont need i should have 5-6 wires left? live, ign live, earth for ecu, fuel pump relay???????? any one done this before?
blackwat?
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby shuvit-tim » 15 Sep 2005, 20:23

is the 2.0 sohc motor carbed or injection?
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby blackwat? » 15 Sep 2005, 22:13

its injected
blackwat?
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby shuvit-tim » 16 Sep 2005, 08:25

i've not done it and couldnt tell you i'm afraid. but thought i'd check - have you remembered to solve the fuel tank replacement/baffling problem?
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim

Postby Harry Flatters » 16 Sep 2005, 19:03

Not sure about Carltons so I could be talking complete bottom here, but in my experience GM (Bosch L series) run a separate loom for the injection which is removable in one piece, so for a fully dressed injection engine you should have this complete loom to use or follow plus the wires needed for the other engine feeds.

I can't think off the top of my head how many feeds you need but ..... airflow meter, bypass valve, 4 injectors, 2 water temp sensors, throttle position, starter, alt B+, alt field, oil pressure, etc.........

Can you clarify what you've got & which bit of the wiring you're talking about?
Harry Flatters
Photographer of the year 2006

Postby blackwat? » 17 Sep 2005, 20:22

:oops: ok, i may have been a little economical with the truth, its going into my vx4-90 not a shuvit,but what its in makes no odds really, by baffles in the tank i assume you mean like a swirl pot? i guess i need this in any tank? the engine has been delivered today and is sat in my drive way. the ecu/inj system does seem fairly self conained but i havnt fully seperated out the loom yet as i left as much as poss still atached to the eng, so the loom arrived today, coiled up on top of the engine. eng looks good, ran well, and for £60 i got; eng, box, new downpipe, starter, alt, p.s pump(dead handy :lol: ), ecu, air box/maf, rad, etc. money well spent i recon. tomorrow old out and new in....ish....maybe......a bit?
blackwat?
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Harry Flatters » 17 Sep 2005, 23:29

No I really meant what you've got in the way of loom. I was hoping some of the others might jump in here & confirm my experience, but it seems to me if the injection loom's been pulled complete you're OK, just reinstall as appropriate, but if you've cut it at the bulkhead you've cut through all the feeds from / to the ECU to the rest of the injection, so you need all those wires......

If you've just cut the main loom and your injection loom's complete ready to install you're OK, you won't have much different in the way of wires than the old VX.
Harry Flatters

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 18 Sep 2005, 00:17

i had a 2.0i carlton once and would advise you to get the 1.8 manta dizzy conversion on it as i had to change a broken rotor arm on mine, unless of course you do it before you put the engine in. it was really awkward on the carlton so it would be heIIish in the chevette.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby blackwat? » 18 Sep 2005, 11:52

ok, so i hve had a better look at the loom, really didnt remember cutting that many wires :oops: but the good news is i now know what most of them do, most of the 21 wires that is :? old unit is nearly out and i have even found someone who wants it :D .
blackwat?
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Return to Electrical