vx490

If it`s got wires, it`ll be in here.

Moderator: Moderators

vx490

Postby blackwat? » 01 Sep 2005, 07:43

help, not a shuv-it question but still old, vauxhall, and rearwheel drive. i have a vauxhall vx 4-90, 1963 model and am really strugling to find any info on anything, it is different to post 65 models. is there an easy way to tell if its neg earth or not? as there is no battery fitted. would really apresiate any info about anything to do with this car. i also have a lot of new spare engine parts for it (1594cc) and prob won't be using this eng type if they are any use to anyone. cheers in advance, nick.
blackwat?
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Neilyman » 01 Sep 2005, 08:26

blackwat?.....The man from Motorworld?.......is that you?

As you can see, we`ve got a new forum.
If you register again, using your old name, I`ll get all your old posts back for you.

Polarity.....Which battery lead is connected to the chassis/body?, you can tell by the clamp size, +ve is bigger diameter.
Look at the coil, if the + terminal has the trigger wire from the points to it, it`s Positive earth, if the trigger wire is on the other terminal, it`s Negative earth.
The radio, if fitted will also tell you, all pos earth units have a label telling you it`s +ve earth.

Either way, it`s simple to change it from Pos to neg earth if needed.
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Postby blackwat? » 01 Sep 2005, 18:23

yep, thats me, from motorworld.......for my sins! i have now re-registered....i think, do i get a 'q' plate now?
blackwat?
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Neilyman » 01 Sep 2005, 18:37

Greetings!.....Nah your not a `Q`, you`re an `advanced` with 63 posts! 61 from the old forum :)
Neilyman

Return to Electrical