what 80s common and cheap recaro type seat fits chevette pls

All the bits that rust!

Moderator: Moderators

what 80s common and cheap recaro type seat fits chevette pls

Postby GJUK » 09 Apr 2005, 13:00

as above please :)

can anyone tell me any seat that will bolt straight in place of the naff non head rest seats i have in my shove it please?

eg a manta seat? astra sri?

cheers

Jon
GJUK
Novice Driver
Novice Driver

Postby Neilyman » 09 Apr 2005, 13:07

Manta or Mk 2 Cav SRi bolt straight in.
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Postby JOCK » 09 Apr 2005, 20:55

I stuck Mk 1 Astra recarros in my Chevette. I found it a better option than Manta ones because the seats are a bit smaller from the astra.
REAR WHEEL DRIVE FUN!
JOCK
He`s not a mod, he`s ***KNIGHT RIDER***

Postby Neilyman » 09 Apr 2005, 23:14

I`ve got Manta ones, `cos Ive got a fat ar$e! :lol:
Neilyman

Postby JOCK » 09 Apr 2005, 23:30

Yeah an Ive got a skinny one! You crack me up. :D
REAR WHEEL DRIVE FUN!
JOCK

Postby Shellysowner » 10 Apr 2005, 00:58

And here are a pair of Jock-esque seats.
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Neilyman » 10 Apr 2005, 07:50

Hehe, I like the way the guy puts his address in the `item location`........Silly boyo! :shock:
Neilyman

Postby Tortron » 10 Apr 2005, 08:52

do you mean you have lowbacks ?!!
Tortron
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Shellysowner » 10 Apr 2005, 12:06

If by lowbacks you mean seats without head restaints torton then yes he probably would have. I dunno about in NZ but over here the E, ES and L models never got head restraints and the GL didn't until 1981, the only other cars with them being the 'sun hatch' and some, but not all, of the specials.
Shellysowner

Postby mint » 10 Apr 2005, 15:46

I was under the impression that there was no direct replacement seat for the Chevette, and Manta recaros needed modifying to fit. As for Cavalier SRi seats fitting, how does that work? they have a completely different subframe?
mint
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shellysowner » 10 Apr 2005, 15:59

Well I can't advise on swapping seats as I've never tried to fit any cav or astra ones into Shelly. On other cars it doesn't seem to a be a problem which seat has what fittings, just drill appropraite holes, add correct mounting plates, seal up old holes and bolt new seats in. What I can tell you is that if all you want is head restraints then in the backrest of most front seats there are two holes present for adding headrests. If you have a good prod around you should be able to feel them. All you need then is something for poking a hole in the back of the seat coverings, some plastic tube thingys which will slot into the holes (should be the same as mk1 astra items but I'm not certain of that) and some head restraints that have the correct spacing between the poles. Oh and some clips but these should come with the plastic tubes. The seats still fold from the front though so it restricts access to the rear seats slightly (not majory though). If anyone's planning to do this I'll have a measure up of my head restraints for them. :)
Shellysowner

Postby Neilyman » 10 Apr 2005, 17:21

mint wrote:I was under the impression that there was no direct replacement seat for the Chevette, and Manta recaros needed modifying to fit.

Well your impression`s wrong Mint mate, My Recaro`s were unbolted from a Manta & bolted into my Chevette parked at the side of it.
The only `modifying` was to the Chevette, I had to take out the curved hook plate thing from the floor, that the tilt mech locks to, `cos 1 of the holes is needed to mount the Manta frame. I`ll give you the SRi seat though, dunno what I was thinking off! Yes they`re Recaro, No They won`t bolt straight in to a chevette.........unless you fix them to a Manta subframe first! :) Patrick should have hit the bracket with a hammer, I did & it now fits ;)
The bottom line for all modiifing is to be prepared to make alterations. If it only takes 10 mins or so to make it fit, thats a straight swap in my books.

You can fit Ford Recaro`s on Ford subframes in about 1/2 hr a side.
You need a piece of 2" alloy angle bolted to the studs on the floor with 2 holes drilled in it to fix the front of the frame to. The rear `leg` of the frame nearest the tunnel needs the rivets drilling out, turn the leg 180 deg.so the `foot` faces inwards & refix with 6mm bolts & nylocs.
Fix frame to front angle, drill 2 holes in floor for back legs, bolt in with 10mm bolts big washers or plates & nylocs. Put the o/e bolts back in the threaded holes not needed any more.........job done. Oh, try & get Capri seats, the back rest winder is on the outside of the seat. XR poo & XR pee seats have the winder on the inside & can be hard to use `cos of the tunnel.
Neilyman

Postby Tortron » 11 Apr 2005, 06:12

i have adjustable headrest thingies, by lowbacks i mean the square seats that come up to your shoulderblades
Tortron
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Return to Bodywork & fittings