leak

All the bits that rust!

Moderator: Moderators

leak

Postby dubford » 17 Nov 2008, 01:35

ive got water leaking in from the front of the car. there are water marks around the bottems of the windscreen .
so any ideas if it would be
1) the rubber perished.....(new rubber)
2) rust under the rubber , isnt there a lip the rubber sits on? (weld a new one in)

anyone ever had this ?
dubford
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Gordo » 17 Nov 2008, 09:46

I've had a screen leak from the top, ran down the seal and out at the dash.
Thing with Chevettes is - they leak!
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby dubford » 17 Nov 2008, 10:33

yeh this is deffernatly at the bottem as i can see the water congragating at the bottem of the screen .

it fills the wheel well in a couple of days rain.
dubford
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Shellysowner » 18 Nov 2008, 15:55

As a temporary measure:

Get some clear silicone sealant and get a friend to pull the rubber back using a suitable tool while squirting a reasonable amount of sealant inside the rubber. Push it down and wipe away the excess which splurges out - job done.

While doing this you will be able to inspect the condition of the lip around the rubber as you peel it back. :)
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
<s>1980 Chevette L Estate</s>
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby dubford » 18 Nov 2008, 23:15

going to have to try that at the weekend cheers
dubford
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 19 Nov 2008, 10:18

They tend to leak at the corners of the screen. The stuff to use is a fab product called " COMMA SEEK and SEAL ". Its a liquid that comes in a tine the same as All in one oil and all you do is push the nozzle under the rubber seal edge and squeeze some liquid in. You nust make sure its clean and dry firtts but if its damp it does not matter.

This clever stuff will find the leak and seal it. Does what it says on the tin.

Another olace that can leak is on the windscreen wiper spindles. Wear on the spindle bearing seals or the spindle itsself will alow water in down the spindle and will either drip onto the peddles or on to the left of the gaer tunnel depending on which one it is. bottom of a job to get them out to change them. I see no way of repairing the spindles seals though so it will have to be a bodge or replacement if you can find them.
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby bones » 20 Nov 2008, 21:39

When my screen smashed and I removed the seal there was a small hole hiding behind the seal where a bit of water had been getting in, might be worth a look..
Bones....
bones
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Chevette Girl » 22 Nov 2008, 17:23

Not sure of the differences in windscreen configurations between European and North American models, but after trying just about everything (including replacing the windscreen and having them rebuild the rotted out bits) and it still leaking, I gave up and took a tube of black exterior silicone sealant and caulked around the rubber seal, both sides. Doesn't look so pretty (making a smooth caulk bead is apparently not my forte) and probably when I redo it (if the car lasts that long), I'll see about getting someone to lift the rubber's edge so I can caulk under it as suggested by Shellysowner, that will look much better...
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Postby dubford » 02 Dec 2008, 01:43

cheers guys . had a quick look at this tday and there is "rust ahoy" . so looks like screen out- and have a good look . Asked a mate who fits screensto come round but he let me down but really want this fixed soon so i can get a carpet in it .
dubford
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Chevette Girl » 02 Dec 2008, 02:00

Good luck with it... I used to have a weird leak that would come down the inside of the driver's fender and pool in the footwell, I ended up taking off the panel and stuffing a rag through the structural holes in where it came in and sticking the tail of the rag in a plastic bag so it would catch the water. It sort of worked, it at least kept the water contained. That at least hasn't leaked since the new windshield.
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Return to Bodywork & fittings