kadett c fibreglass bonnet

All the bits that rust!

Moderator: Moderators

kadett c fibreglass bonnet

Postby retronaut » 20 Jul 2008, 22:17

is any one interested in the above ? coggers sent me his steel bonnet to make a mold from its for the early type one with the indicators in the valance.
i can also do gte front bib spoilers & coupe boot spoilers
retronaut
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Mantadoc » 05 Oct 2008, 02:11

What's the bib look like and how much?
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby retronaut » 11 Oct 2008, 23:05

the bib spoiler is a replica of the kadett gte.
the mold i made was off a genuine rubber one.
they come in a black gel coat finish to look like the original so you don't have to paint it if you don't want to, it also has the stiffeners at the rear as per the original.
the price is £55 + £11 postage
retronaut
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Mantadoc » 12 Oct 2008, 21:37

Baring in mind the rarity of Kadett C front valances have you considered making these?

Funnily enough I happen to have two pattern ones spare...........
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby retronaut » 12 Oct 2008, 23:51

if enough people are interested then yes i'll do a mold off one of your front valances no problem.
i can pretty much copy anything as long as theres an original to make a mold from.
also i allready have a mold for the chevette front panel/valance should any one want one of these.
i will be making a mold from a manta A front valance soon as well.
retronaut
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Mantadoc » 13 Oct 2008, 01:29

I also have later type Kadett C wings (Pattern Part)

And a coupe boot lid somewhere.
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 13 Oct 2008, 19:59

could you do the doors off a hatch?
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby retronaut » 13 Oct 2008, 20:47

same again with the wings and the boot lid if enough people want them then i'll do a mold
i know the kaddet wings are hard to find these days and would assume the same with coupe boot lid being as its unique to the model.
as for doors i've been asked that one a few times replicating them is not a problem, the problem with these is the hinge mounts.
with the mounts being of the roll pin type would mean you cutting up your original doors for the mounts and you would have to fibreglass these your self or send me the hinge mounts to do it for you.
otherwise i'd have to find someone to fabricate the door mounts.
how about a fibre glass door skin and use you're original door internal would this be of help?
retronaut
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 14 Oct 2008, 23:51

retronaut wrote:the problem with these is the hinge mounts.
with the mounts being of the roll pin type would mean you cutting up your original doors for the mounts

that's no good really as i would like to sell them on
retronaut wrote:i'd have to find someone to fabricate the door mounts.

there must be a similar type we could use off the shelf/scrapyard
retronaut wrote:how about a fibre glass door skin and use you're original door internal would this be of help?

yes and no really. i like the idea but it would only give me a 25% weight saving at most and i'm not sure how it would stay in place. the same could apply to the door inner being fibreglass, would you need to glass some metal into it where things like door handles, window winders and the like attach to it?
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby retronaut » 15 Oct 2008, 20:46

if any one has any ideas for off the shelf /scrapyard hinge mounts that would help?
if you went with the doorskin it could be bonded to the original internal with tigerseal or sikaflex or similar product.
if any metal is needed for support i would fibreglass this into the door ie for captive nuts/ bolts, same goes for the hinge mounts i would fibreglass a flat peice of steel to which the mounts would have been welded or bolted to the A post area of the door.
how would you get on for window glass?
would you use a fixed perspex window or would you be looking at using the existing system that uses the four pulley and cable setup (absolute pain to replace when the cable goes)again if you use the pulleys these would have to be used from the existing door or sourced elsewhere.
retronaut
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 15 Oct 2008, 22:10

hopefully i would be able to use a perspex window instead of the glass one as a direct replacement so i could open and close it as normal if it didn't scratch and i'd use my door hinge and locking mechanism if possible. so what i'm looking for is a fibreglass door that could accept all the stuff off the old metal one and perform the same function without weighing a Ton Image
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby Mantadoc » 20 Oct 2008, 01:08

No warranty implied or given but........

I would think either find thick walled steel tube or a bar of the right diameter cut to length and drilled to take the door pin

Weld a bolt or piece of studding to the side of this so the centre line is at 90 degrees to the centre line of the door pin hole.

Place a steel plate in the glass door once a few layers are in (one long enough to hold both hinges) and continue to lay up no top.

If holes were pre drilled in the plate a flanged nut could be welded to it so you rotate the threaded hinge to adjust and use a locknut.

However, if the nut was not welded one nut either side would mean you could adjust fit without removing hinge pin.

Slight risk of delamination doing it this way as squashing the fibre where with welded nut one nut can rest on the other.
Mantadoc
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Return to Bodywork & fittings