Fitting a HS bumper

All the bits that rust!

Moderator: Moderators

Fitting a HS bumper

Postby warnzee » 06 Mar 2008, 00:03

I'm going to have a go at fitting my HS-style front bumper soon, hopefully in time for the Retro Show at Santa Pod.

I bought it from TJM aaaaages ago and ive never attampted fitting it before because its miles too wide to just bolt up.

Now ive done (most of) the bodywork that needed doing, and the car is 5 different shades of rattle can blue, i'm going to attempt a respray, so wanted to get the bumper on before i start.

Has anyone on here fitted a replica bumper to their Chevette? or got any tips on how to trim the bumper so its a better fit?

Any help would be really appreciated as i'm pretty lost tbh!

Thanks in advance, Rich.
C20XE power.
warnzee
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby ross.cheeks » 19 Jul 2008, 13:47

id like to know this aswell, if anyone has got a guide or some info it would be great.
ross.cheeks
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

fitting a hs front spoiler

Postby retronaut » 20 Jul 2008, 13:39

the best way i've found is to cut the two ends off a scrap chrome front bumper about 2 inches past the bolts that hold it to the bumper irons. then squashing whats left in a vice helps (or a hammer if you have to) so the old bumper will fit inside the hs one to act as a mount/strenghtener.

if it wont go inside it will be because your hs bumper has a return flange around the top edge (some do & some dont depends who made it ) dont cut this off cut about half the top edge of your chrome bumper off, it should then miss the return flange leaving the front with the two bolts & the underside intact it should now go inside your hs bumper.

when it fits inside refit the old chrome bumper leaving the bumper irons loose.
slide your hs bumper over it and under the arches you may want to take the indicator lenses off first its up to you if they are in the way

once its on you'll have to move it around to get the best fit, then when its where you want it tighten the 4 (9/16") bumper iron bolts inside the arches

you can either screw or rivet the hs bumper to the old chrome one best place is the under side of the radiator air intake, if you use screws here they cant be seen & you can also take it of if you need to replace a wing or something, then finally use two scews either side to secure it to the wing arches and that should be it :D

hope this helps sorry if it seems longwinded but ive tried to get as much detail in as i could, it is fairly straight forward just harder to explain in words
retronaut
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby warnzee » 03 Jan 2009, 01:10

Not been on here for aaaaaaages, so didnt spot that ^

Thankyou vey much :D makes good sense, and like the sound of it. Will have a play with it soon.

Rich.

ps, thats not Tipton down ere in Devon is it? :P
C20XE power.
warnzee
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby retronaut » 20 Jan 2009, 00:59

glad to be of help
its tipton in the west midlands mate, i think its called tipton st john down your way in devon.
you'll have to post a pic when you've done it or bring to to billing it should look good when its done
retronaut
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Return to Bodywork & fittings