Page 1 of 2

How big a job is this rear arch?

PostPosted: 28 May 2007, 14:24
by Doive
So, bodywork experts. Below are pictures of my really bad rear arch, and I want to pick your brains. How easy/difficult would it be for a welding newbie like me to replace this little lot, and end up with a reasonable repair? I don't want to go all out with a grinder if I won't be able to fix it, whereas the original panel (what's left of it) would give a bodywork specialist somewhere to start. The rest of the car is relatively sound, only a few cosmetic spots elsewhere so I reckon it's worth saving. What do you lot think?

I just want to get on with it!

<a href="http://doive.chevettes.com/cars/chevette/pics//dscf4335.jpg"><img src="http://doive.chevettes.com/cars/chevette/pics/thumb/dscf4335.jpg" border="0"></a>

<a href="http://doive.chevettes.com/cars/chevette/pics//dscf4338.jpg"><img src="http://doive.chevettes.com/cars/chevette/pics/thumb/dscf4338.jpg" border="0"></a><a href="http://doive.chevettes.com/cars/chevette/pics//dscf4337.jpg"><img src="http://doive.chevettes.com/cars/chevette/pics/thumb/dscf4337.jpg" border="0"></a>

PostPosted: 28 May 2007, 15:38
by Shellysowner
I think that as a welding newbie, doing that arch and managing to repair it without putting any ripple into the rest of the wing is quite a large undertaking. I would suggest practising by making stuff out of new metal and then making some other more minor repairs until you are confident in your abilities.

PostPosted: 28 May 2007, 19:13
by UpNorth
Mind you, it would be very nice to get the crap cut off & stop the rot travelling any further. I just hope it hasn't travelled further than the repair panel covers.

PostPosted: 28 May 2007, 19:29
by Harry Flatters
What Ralph says about practising is right, but don't be afraid of it - there's no need for a continuous weld & it's not a difficult job unless the inner arch is rotted away as well, which complicates things. Play with a few bits of metal then go for it - if the rest of the car warrants it...

PostPosted: 28 May 2007, 19:39
by Doive
The bit where the inner arch folds over to meet the outer wing is completely gone at some points, and barely holding on at others. The bit where the whole thing meets the sill looks none too clever either - but then I'm after a good strong MoT-able joint, not a concours restoration finish. I'm going to get a couple of inner arch panels to weld in and provide reference for the outer to be fitted up to. I'm not sure if repair panels for the outer are actually available...

Harry wrote:...if the rest of the car warrants it...

Well, now there is a point. The glass half empty part of me says the scrapyard is just half a mile away, but I think most of you know I would never want to scrap this car - I haven't kept it this long just to send it off to the crusher! If I start taking it apart and find it's much, much worse than it looks then it will cross my mind, but for now it's still a viable project!

PostPosted: 28 May 2007, 22:15
by Harry Flatters
You'll probably find outer arch repair sections easier to get than inner arches as they were a commonly available panel, though Dr Manta has the latter.

If you already know you're into inner and outer arches you're not going to get much worse with that job, but with the arches and front wings in that state and a car that's been sat for a while I'd be going through the rest of it thoroughly to see what else is bad - particularly since it's a four door saloon, the cheapest variant at the moment...

The sill isn't an issue, as even an arch repair panel will come with several inches of sill and cover sills are still available, but you may find the rear bag - the bottom of the wing behind the arch - is bad along the seam.

PostPosted: 28 May 2007, 22:41
by Doive
I'm determined to keep it on the road, even if it is the cheap unwanted variant. People may want all the hatches for rally slags, but the unwanted underdogs in most ranges still have a following. Four door Escorts are the unloved variant of that range next to the type 49s, but people still want them...

Anyway, that little car has been very good to me over the last four years, mechanically it's in great shape and I'm determined to get her back on the road. In ten years time at some classic show somewhere, I want my car to be on display surrounded by Ralph's hatch, perhaps the odd estate, a couple of Kadett coupes and anything else that hasn't become a rally car. People always try and save the odd and/or unusual cars before they all disappear. Why else would anyone save an Austin Ambassador 1.7L?!

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 06:36
by Harry Flatters
I was more thinking that you could get another good one at a sensible price...

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 12:59
by 14yearoldchevetter
Harry Flatters wrote:particularly since it's a four door saloon, the cheapest variant at the moment...

*frowns and exhales heavily* :x :x

Doive wrote:In ten years time at some classic show somewhere, I want my car to be on display surrounded by Ralph's hatch, perhaps the odd estate, a couple of Kadett coupes and anything else that hasn't become a rally car.


Hopefully them cars will also be graced by my saloon and hopefully soon-to-be estate 8) 8)

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 13:01
by Shellysowner
14yearoldchevetter wrote:...and hopefully soon-to-be estate 8) 8)


Sorry to drag the ol' thread OT, but is there something you're not telling us young Andrew? :D

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 14:12
by 14yearoldchevetter
Im trying to talk my mum around to let me buy my friends (the guy that sold me the saloon)estate. Its in good shape. Im meeting him on sat for a local motorsport event. ill get a few pics. Im not buying it for a while yet

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 14:14
by 14yearoldchevetter
Shellysowner wrote:Sorry to drag the ol' thread OT...


In English please Ralph :?

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 14:18
by Shellysowner
14yearoldchevetter wrote:
Shellysowner wrote:Sorry to drag the ol' thread OT...


In English please Ralph :?


OT = off topic

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 16:52
by Harry Flatters
14yearoldchevetter wrote:
Harry Flatters wrote:particularly since it's a four door saloon, the cheapest variant at the moment...

*frowns and exhales heavily* :x :x


and your point is...?

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 18:12
by Doive
I think it's a well regarded fact that saloons are sadly worth next to f**k all, usually whatever petrol is left in the tank. Usually the same story for the four door variant of any car - see mk2 Escort, Volkswagen Jetta mk1, Morris Marina, Hillman Avenger etc etc. Realistically I know my car is worth about £50 in scrap value as no bugger would want to buy it, so I figure hold on to it and learn to weld on it. Any money spent is an investment, not in the car but in my skills. It would cost probably £200 to buy a viable saloon project these days, so I'll stick with what I've got - if it all goes horribly wrong I'll give the local scrappy a call and I've really lost nothing.

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 18:24
by 14yearoldchevetter
Harry Flatters wrote:
14yearoldchevetter wrote:
Harry Flatters wrote:particularly since it's a four door saloon, the cheapest variant at the moment...

*frowns and exhales heavily* :x :x


and your point is...?


Well, it sounds bad as Ive got a 4 door, and I therefore own the worst variant of the car. I find it very annoying that the saloons get no respect :cry:

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 18:55
by UpNorth
Doive wrote:I think it's a well regarded fact that saloons are sadly worth next to f**k all, usually whatever petrol is left in the tank. Usually the same story for the four door variant of any car - see mk2 Escort, Volkswagen Jetta mk1, Morris Marina, Hillman Avenger etc etc. Realistically I know my car is worth about £50 in scrap value as no bugger would want to buy it, so I figure hold on to it and learn to weld on it. Any money spent is an investment, not in the car but in my skills. It would cost probably £200 to buy a viable saloon project these days, so I'll stick with what I've got - if it all goes horribly wrong I'll give the local scrappy a call and I've really lost nothing.


That's the spirit Dave!! Think of it as a practice piece then you can't lose out. I particularly like your turn-of-phrase in the first line regarding the cars values :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 29 May 2007, 19:42
by Harry Flatters
14yearoldchevetter wrote:Well, it sounds bad as Ive got a 4 door, and I therefore own the worst variant of the car. I find it very annoying that the saloons get no respect :cry:


Well... except that I didn't say it was the worst variant, merely the cheapest. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with it being cheap - in fact from some points of view it's a positive; it's just that if you're working out whether a vehicle's worth going with, inevitably cost and price are factors. 'Worst' is a purely subjective judgement, it completely depends what your criteria are.

I'll second Mark's comments; that seems to me to be completely the right attitude, Doive.

PostPosted: 30 May 2007, 09:24
by Doive
Harry Flatters wrote:'Worst' is a purely subjective judgement

Us saloon owners are quite protective of our little cars... we rise up easily when challenged! :lol:

I might build a saloon HSR replica, just to annoy the purists. 'Yeah, I gutted an HSR for parts, cut the turrets out of it...'

PostPosted: 30 May 2007, 13:22
by Harry Flatters
Doive wrote:quite protective of our little cars... we rise up easily when challenged! :lol:


But no-one was challenging you...

PostPosted: 30 May 2007, 18:32
by UpNorth
Doive wrote: I might build a saloon HSR replica, just to annoy the purists. 'Yeah, I gutted an HSR for parts, cut the turrets out of it...'


Hang-on a minute, we can't have any of this sort of talk :x

PostPosted: 31 May 2007, 00:36
by CancerWagon
I can't say I've seen a pic of a saloon with an HS bumper on it.

Do it! :twisted: The saloons need some more love.

PostPosted: 31 May 2007, 08:05
by Gordo
Doive wrote:
Harry Flatters wrote:'Worst' is a purely subjective judgement

Us saloon owners are quite protective of our little cars... we rise up easily when challenged! :lol:

I might build a saloon HSR replica, just to annoy the purists. 'Yeah, I gutted an HSR for parts, cut the turrets out of it...'


Hahaha!

Isn't there an estate or van "HSR" around - seem to recall seeing a pic' somewhere 8)

PostPosted: 31 May 2007, 09:54
by CancerWagon
That Red van is one my all time favorites! :D From the gallery:

ImageImage

See Also What appears to be a 2 door saloon with a HS bumper :D

PostPosted: 31 May 2007, 10:26
by Doive
I think a saloon with HSR kit fitted would look quite sweet, don't get me wrong the hatch is a good looking car, but all the best rally cars are saloons! :P

(Disclaimer - this is only a wind up, I would never ever ever turn my car into a rally slag)