Front end rust?

All the bits that rust!

Moderator: Moderators

Front end rust?

Postby 1.8KADETT » 30 Nov 2006, 19:25

Hello everyone :D

Can anyone confirm whether or not the front end of Chevette inner wings just behind the headlights rot out the same as Kadetts do?

I'm breaking a chevette which has a pretty clean front end and I'm wondering if it's worth cutting it all off before it goes to the crusher.

Don't worry- the rest of the car is a shed. I wouldn't break a good 'un!

The front panel and valance are pretty much spot on, as are the inner wings, and it'd be a shame to leave it all on the car if anyone can make use of them.

Cheers, Neil
1.8KADETT
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Re: Front end rust?

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 30 Nov 2006, 19:50

1.8KADETT wrote:Hello everyone :D

hello and welcome to the forum
1.8KADETT wrote:Can anyone confirm whether or not the front end of Chevette inner wings just behind the headlights rot out the same as Kadetts do?

they certainly do
1.8KADETT wrote:I'm breaking a chevette which has a pretty clean front end and I'm wondering if it's worth cutting it all off before it goes to the crusher.

Don't worry- the rest of the car is a shed. I wouldn't break a good 'un!

The front panel and valance are pretty much spot on, as are the inner wings, and it'd be a shame to leave it all on the car if anyone can make use of them.

Cheers, Neil

the front panel and valance aren't available to buy anymore so will be worth keeping. if you don't want them i'll have them :wink:
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby 1.8KADETT » 30 Nov 2006, 20:31

I'd swap the front end panels, plus a pair of pretty good wings (small patch of rust on top of each wing about 6" back from front end-would probably poke through but easily repairable) for a decent passenger side door? :?: :)
Been after one for about 2 years :lol:
1.8KADETT
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 30 Nov 2006, 20:40

2 or 4 door?
Dr Manta sells the various door skin/inner panels.
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby 1.8KADETT » 30 Nov 2006, 21:03

Ah Dr Manta!

Found that site a couple of days ago looking for this bloody headlamp lens- he's a bit pricey but good as a last resort.
Ideal for bits for my Manta A as well- if it ever sees the light of day again!

My Kadett's a two door saloon- I bought the chevette to break hoping the doors would be ok but they're shot to bits. It also turned out to be a four door anyway, despite the seller being adament it was a two door.
Bought it over the phone and had the thing picked up by a mate with a tow truck without even looking at it- then found there's virtually nothing off the shell I can use! :(

Still, at least it came with a free family of mice and a bird's nest built between the rear spring and the backplate of the drum. :?
1.8KADETT
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Shellysowner » 30 Nov 2006, 21:34

Have you seen this?
Doive wrote:I remember last summer being in another Chevette with a quite mad driver, and we were drifting round A class roads at 65mph with the tail sliding progressively on the corners. It was fantastic.

1980 Chevette L Hatch
<s>1980 Chevette L Estate</s>
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Herbie_Flowers » 30 Nov 2006, 21:44

blimey :shock: ah well you live and learn eh :wink: :)
well spotted Ralph
Herbie_Flowers
Diehard Chevetter
Diehard Chevetter

Postby 1.8KADETT » 01 Dec 2006, 18:56

Cheers for the tip on the door! I'll keep an eye on that one!

I'll try and get some other pics before I place a bid- the last door I bought from ebay looked great on the pics and was described as 'needing a small repair to the underside'.......

The skin was fine (hence good pictures) but it didn't even have an underside!
1.8KADETT
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby curryracer » 18 Jan 2007, 23:48

Can I have the front suspension turrets if you are not using them. Will gladly pay postage and a contribution for the cutting discs!!
And I will get in the queue for the front panel as mine is very rusty and looks awful.

Chris
curryracer
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby 1.8KADETT » 21 Jan 2007, 19:39

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately I have cut the front end off now and cut it keeping as much of the inner wing as possible attached to the front panels, whilst still keeping the shell rolling- so I cut through the turrets just forward of the shocks.

That way if anyone wanted it for an accident damaged one it still has inner wing/ chassis still attached.

I'll be listing the front end panels as a lump on ebay next week for collection only, (£10 start, no reserve) unless anyone makes me an offer first?

All the panels are in pretty good nick- the valance is very good apart from the lip between wing and end of valance on one side has rusted away (easy enough to weld a flat strip on the end, bolting points are still intact)
The front panel is excellent, as is headlamp panel, and the forward 12" or so of inner wings, also very good, are still attached, although the wing mounting rail at the top has started to go. Again this is a flat section and would be easily repaired.
Radiator panel is also excellent. There are a couple of blisters starting to come up in the joint between the inner wing and the headlamp panel, but nothing serious.
Even comes with the badge and chrome strip!
1.8KADETT
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby TJM » 21 Jan 2007, 19:44

I am looking for a tidy steel bonnet, along with bonnet hinges and mounting plate if available?

Let me know
Tim
TJM
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby 1.8KADETT » 22 Jan 2007, 22:46

Hi Tim,

Got a very good steel bonnet (GM original) but it would have to be collected from Plymouth I'm afraid. Virtually zero rust and only a couple of very slight indents. (I'll confirm that in daylight tomorrow!)

I'm in the process of cutting up the shell at the moment so if you want it I'll get the hinges off as well. Did you mean the hinge mounting plates that weld up underneath the scuttle panel? Is the scuttle panel worth saving as well? If not I'll slice through it to get the hinge brackets off.

If you want any of it make me an offer, or I'd swap for a late Kadett bonnet (headlamps in wings) or a good passenger side door.

Cheers, Neil
1.8KADETT
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Return to Bodywork & fittings