front and rear screen removal

All the bits that rust!

Moderator: Moderators

front and rear screen removal

Postby Raver » 24 Nov 2006, 16:32

Just wondering the best way to remove bothe the front and rear windows, as i want to spray the car and would prefer to get some paint under the rubbers too.
Raver
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby flexbuttcheck1 » 24 Nov 2006, 17:10

sit inside the car and push the rubber out in one of the top corners then just work your way round till youve done the top and both sides then lift the window out from outside it will make your thumbs sore, you can do this by yourself but youll need someone with you to put it back in!
flexbuttcheck1
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 24 Nov 2006, 18:30

Take the chrome coloured spreader strip out first though.
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby Neilyman » 24 Nov 2006, 19:24

flexbuttcheck1 wrote: it will make your thumbs sore,

Not if you use your feet! :)

Wipe some wash up liquid around the rubber where it touches the metal, inside the car, then put a foot on the glass at the top corner & push, work across the top, then go outside car & pull top of screen forward & lift it away from body.
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Postby UpNorth » 24 Nov 2006, 20:04

How refreshing, someone wanting to spend an hour or two removing/replacing windows & doing a proper job rather than spending their time pissing about with masking tape :evil:

Well done mate.
Anyone have a 6R4 for sale? Unfortunately I've only got £1K spare but I could throw in a few eggs to sweeten the deal!
UpNorth
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Raver » 25 Nov 2006, 00:42

cheers guys was just worried about cracking the glass and not bein able to replace it, idealy need some new rubbers anyways an the cars only goin matt black for now until i can afford my deep glossy black respray, just hate the fact that y acan lift up the window rubbers and see a different colour underneath too, looks like a half done job.
Raver
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby CR500Dom » 25 Nov 2006, 20:06

The other way of doing it if you want a better finish but dont want to remove the glass is to get some 6mm cord.

Lift the rubber and work the cord in underneath to hold the rubber up off the metal

Then when you mask up the rubbers you can paint underneath them :wink:

Not as god a job as taking the glass out completely but you wont get the edge on the paint next to the rubber either and you havent got the headlining hassle when you reinstall the glass either :oops: :roll: :wink:

HTH
Dom
CR500Dom
Upsetter of "The Purists"
Upsetter of "The Purists"

Return to Bodywork & fittings