stop those rusty wings now!!!!

All the bits that rust!

Moderator: Moderators

stop those rusty wings now!!!!

Postby shoveitnz » 22 Mar 2006, 02:33

It rained here in Blenheim NZ last night- rained hard! My shoveit had little fish swimming around in the footwells when i opened the doors this morning. Whilst trying to find the leaks around the heater box I noticed a little water run which causes that dreaded rust chevettes in wetter climates get along the tops of the wings where they bolt on to the inners...our old chevette we last had in blighty had so much rust along there that the two edges overlapping were swelling apart between the bolts all the way along.
So if you look up in the top corners near the base of the windows you will notice where water runs along the channel in front of the windscreen to the corners then transfers onto the side channels- but it can also go between the two wing layers. I,ve run a bead of silicon into the join(gap if its started to rust already) and another bead to help direct the water into the channel properly and down to the front.
Have a look and you will see it all- a 5 minute job.
alex
NZ desperately needs more immigration and fresh blood. Our eyes are getting far too close together!

http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index ... 155&page=1

http://www.vauxhallviva.com/vivaforum/v ... hp?t=10258
shoveitnz
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Tortron » 23 Mar 2006, 21:08

yep iv done the silicon there too
This text comfirms the fact that directly above this is a line
"as you would expect on a car of this age..."
The chevette vin decoder
Tortron
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Chevette Girl » 24 Mar 2006, 01:48

Don't think North American Chevettes are built quite the same, but I've had to have a go with the silly-cone all the way around my brand new windscreen...
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Postby shoveitnz » 27 Mar 2006, 08:46

well every little bit helps...but mine still leaks somewhere onto the floor. I think i'll have to silicon the screen a little- just in the corners.
NZ desperately needs more immigration and fresh blood. Our eyes are getting far too close together!

shoveitnz
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Raver » 27 Mar 2006, 17:21

i found in mine that there's a few small holes along the bulkhead on the passenger side, so the rain runs into the engine bay and down the wires into the passengerside footwell.
Raver
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby burns » 27 Mar 2006, 18:04

Sounds like the well known rust trap under the washer bottle. I hammerite-d mine the other day beofre it got too far into rusting. You want to do something about that as otherwise it will start rusting through under your damp carpets.
burns
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 27 Mar 2006, 19:56

Also there is a nasty little hidden water entry point under the lower corners of the windscreen rubbers.

Look at the rubber at the lower corners and you will see a seem running up under it. Carefully lift the rubber lip up and if like mine you will find that the bonding in this seem has broken down and is letting in water. I sealed mine with "Comma Seek and Seal".

If you can its best to scrape out the old sealant re-seal with something like "U-Pol Tiger Seal" , a PU Adhesive Sealant. Excellent stuff.
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby opel_charlie » 27 Mar 2006, 20:51

Yer its a bugger mines rusting slightly there as3well under the sealent, could just weld it up instead of resealing?

Flex & cracking of welds?
opel_charlie
He`s a right Charlie!
He`s a right Charlie!

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 27 Mar 2006, 21:24

Welding is possible but the sealant will keep the flexability.

I caught mine before its started to rust, its just the sealant thats not there.
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby shoveitnz » 27 Mar 2006, 21:53

When i replaced the windscreen i found alot of bubbly paint and some deep pitting under it. Sort of glad i had to do the screen or i would never have found it. And this on a dry climate car...when I get another chevette in england i think i'll pop the screen out and check it -better then having to weld it later.

Theres a few holes behind the fan that can let water in if the old 'tar' sealent has perished.

shoveitnz
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby jan olin » 25 Apr 2006, 21:15

On my chevette, it leaked thro the battery tray where battery acid had eaten thro, :( One new metal plate welded in & sealed, then the sealent wasn't sealing,grrr. Last weekend took the fan assembly apart & slapped 6 ton of mastic & yes it works, dry carpets. :D.Other entry points are thro the fan, doorseals, washerbottle and any gromits in the bulkhead & floor, oh and not forgetting rear lights.
I'm jan the man with a girly name!
jan olin
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Shellysowner » 25 Apr 2006, 21:26

Crikey Jan - I've never experienced any of those leaks! Are you sure someone hasn't replaced your Chevette with a colander while you weren't looking? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Shellysowner on 25 Apr 2006, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
Shellysowner
Neverending moaner - lack of space!

Postby Neilyman » 25 Apr 2006, 23:07

Mine leaked at the rear lights when I first got it, because they weren`t tight enough to squash the rubber seal.
Neilyman
Admin and dirty rotten egg!
Admin and dirty rotten egg!

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 25 Apr 2006, 23:31

Yup, same here Neil, as was Dads.
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby Shellysowner » 25 Apr 2006, 23:39

Ah well I guess I've been lucky then :D
Shellysowner

Postby burns » 26 Apr 2006, 07:55

I found a hole in my inner arch the other day:(. From the outside I spotted a bit of arch about 2-3 square inches which looked a little different. Turned out that was because it was carpet.
burns
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Return to Bodywork & fittings