Springs and things

All the bits that soak up the bumps and point the car in the right direction.

Moderator: Moderators

Springs and things

Postby Chris71 » 07 Sep 2007, 18:53

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what spring rates were used on the basic Chevettes? I'm particularly interested in finding out the rate on the rears - it's a slightly odd question, but if you happened to know the uncompressed length of the spring and the number of coils, that would be good too :)

This isn't strictly suspension, but whilst I'm here can someone recommend a good source of parts? As well as suitable springs and dampers, I'm looking for a couple of wheel bearings.

Chris.
Chris71
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Shuvit-pinto » 08 Sep 2007, 09:16

I might be able to help you out with Dampers, springs and bearings. I will have a look in the Chevette Shed later.
Shuvit-pinto
Forum Parts Squirrel
Forum Parts Squirrel

Postby Gordo » 08 Sep 2007, 09:47

I can measure up the front for you - I've a few in the garage - however the rears are a bit of a problem - they're made of a tapered wire, thinner CSA at the ends than in the middle. This means the spring rate is a lot harder to work out as it varies as the spring is compressed and the finer ends are collapsed.
If you really need to know, you're going to have to measure the force required to compress it in increments and chart them. measure the CSA along the wire and calculate it or look for some old magazines (such as CCC) and find mention of it in the adverts - I know it was mentioned in some.
I presume you're trying to work out the spring rates and lengths for a modified 'Vette. I'd suggest you try a recommended setup and work from there - remember you'll VERY likely need a shorter rear damper if using fixed rate rear springs as the dampers are quite long when extended.
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Chris71 » 08 Sep 2007, 17:49

I hope this doesn't sound like sacrilege, but it's actually for a Chevette based kit car (1980s I hasten to add, I haven't been hacking about any Chevettes myself :))

The original build was supposed to use Chevette springs (along with the back axle) cut to a new length, to change the rate as well as the ride height. Unfortunately it seems on mine, the springs were never cut to the appropriate length. The dampers need replacing now and after potentially 30 years of use (if they're the original donor car springs) I thought the springs would be getting rather tired too. Rather than cut down a Chevette pair, I wanted to find out what the rate was and get some off the shelf springs.

The car weighs about 630kgs and I'm not sure how the weight distribution compares with the chevette (the Sylva probably has more of a front bias, I'd guess)
Chris71
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Gordo » 09 Sep 2007, 08:14

Then you really should try these guys
# · Sylva Sportscar Register - Mac Allardyce, 1 Quested Way, Harrietsham, Maidstone, Kent ME17 1JG 01622 851593 www.sylva-sportscar-register.co.uk
ttfn

Gordo
Gordo
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Chris71 » 10 Sep 2007, 11:35

Gordo wrote:Then you really should try these guys
# · Sylva Sportscar Register - Mac Allardyce, 1 Quested Way, Harrietsham, Maidstone, Kent ME17 1JG 01622 851593 www.sylva-sportscar-register.co.uk

"THIS DOMAIN IS FOR SALE
SYLVA-SPORTSCAR-REGISTER.CO.UK When a woman wants to drive, don't stand in her way"

Good advice, but I'm not sure it helps with the springs :)

I am in contact with the Sylva google group, but obviously many of the parts where only ever manufactured for the donor car. I need some wheel bearings for example and the sole source for them is Chevette.
Chris71
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Return to Suspension and Steering