Removal of front cross member

All the bits that soak up the bumps and point the car in the right direction.

Moderator: Moderators

Removal of front cross member

Postby CancerWagon » 23 Nov 2006, 02:08

After my complete failure of a MVI (MOT), I needed to replace both lower arms. One is broken at the rear bushing, (was temporarily welded together) and the other has pinholes on the spring seat and gusset plate.

Going to completely rebuild the front end... and I've got one problem.... the front cross member won't seperate from the body!

Removed the lower arms, springs, front support beams and disconnected the engine mounts rack/pintion links. Supported the drivetrain (lifting it 1") and then took out the four bolts attaching the cross member to the body.... and beat it silly with a hammer, then put the engine (and auto trans) weight back onto it... beat on it some more... didin't budge.

Anyone got any input? Did I miss anything? :lol:
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualit├Ąt."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby CancerWagon » 23 Nov 2006, 18:05

Nevermind, got it... missed the two bolts under the motor mounts. That's what I get for working by flashlight.

I see now that the upper left spring seat is in bad shape too.... spark up the welder!
Chris W.
Drifting in a 55 hp Diesel... what?
"Erfolg durch Qualit├Ąt."
CancerWagon
Classic Old Timer
Classic Old Timer

Postby Chevette Girl » 16 Dec 2006, 22:10

Them crossmembers is strong... we dropped an engine (literally, from a height of about 3-4 feet) into the engine compartment, busted the ribber cushion out of one of the mounts but no other damage... yeah, always make sure you fasten securely to the alternator mount as well as whatever else you attach to...
"The world is going to hell in Mircos***'s custom-built, feature-rich, user-friendly, bug-infested handbasket." - BCB, 2002
Chevette Girl
chevettes.com pinup girl
chevettes.com pinup girl

Return to Suspension and Steering