Bits and bobs required for the fitting of a manta a axle

Will they fit?...find out here!

Moderator: Moderators

Bits and bobs required for the fitting of a manta a axle

Postby donlondon » 29 Jan 2006, 21:39

Hi guys

I was hoping that someone could supply a definative list of the parts and work that would be required to fit a manta a axle to a hatchback chevette.

Also is the best bet when fitting a 1.8 manta engine to try and swipe the gearbox or can i get by with the standard chevette gearing? Perhaps this will kill the top end but make acceleration a little more enoyable?

Cheers

Donald
donlondon
`L` Plate Newbie
`L` Plate Newbie

Postby Harry Flatters » 29 Jan 2006, 22:01

If you poke around here a bit you'll find that most of the axle swap is covered in one thread or another, but apart from the obvious there's little needed.

I doubt you'd get the Chevette gearbox to fit the family 2 engine easily, and it'll be marginal anyway - get the Getrag that goes with the 1.8 and modify the prop.

Ignoring overdriven gears, you won't make any difference to top end with most gearboxes as 4th (or 5th) gear is nearly always 1:1.
Harry Flatters
Photographer of the year 2006
Photographer of the year 2006

Postby shuvit-tim » 29 Jan 2006, 22:09

okay, first thing.... you have to fit a different box to use the manta engine. fit the 1800 manta getrag box as a) its tested and proven and fits into the tunnel and b) i expect you already have one with the engine?

to fit the getrag you will have to make a new hole in the tunnel to pass the gearlever through as it is sat slightly further back than the chevette box.

you will need a custom prop to run between the manta box and the rear axle.

you will need to turret the rear suspension to fit a manta A axle, everything else is included, although you have to swap the panhard rod to the other side of the axle.
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim
Tight arsed, ex-Stoodant Chevetter

Postby andy » 29 Jan 2006, 23:02

i havent had to make new gear selector hole with my getrag box and xe so i shouldnt see why you would have to with the 1.8
andy
Advanced Motorist
Advanced Motorist

Postby shuvit-tim » 30 Jan 2006, 00:34

ah right, fair enough, just going by what i read elsewhere! sorry if it was bad info!
when all else fails, rivets, cable ties and bodge tape will see you through

Tim
shuvit-tim

Return to Wheels, Tyres & Axles